Chapter 9

Eight year old Catina sighed lightly as she stared at the figure of her sister, who was currently peaking around the corner.

"Why do you always insist on sneaking away from our maids?" Catina bit her lip slightly, "I can't help but pity them, they always look so frantic when they can't find us."

"If you pity them so much, then go join them." Catrina chuckled, "Relieve half their stress."

Catina laughed despite herself, "You're terrible."

Seeing that the hallway was empty, Catrina continued walking, "You won't be saying that when we arrive at our destination."

"And why is that?" Catina asked, as she walked slightly behind Catrina.

Catrina paused, and then turned around. Slowly leaning forward, as if she had a big secret to tell, Catrina whispered, "I heard the maids say that grandfather is visiting today."

Catina's eyes widened in surprise, "Truly?" Brows furrowed in confusion, she continued, "But surely mother would have told us."

"That's what I thought as well." Catrina shrugged slightly, "Couldn't hurt to check though."

"I suppose you're right." Catina agreed.

Apart from ditching their maids, Catina didn't have any problems with their little expedition. Their classes had ended early, so they could roam freely without the fear of facing their parent's wrath if they were caught. She just hoped that they weren't following false information.

As they approached the sitting room they heard their mother's voice conversing with another, deeper voice, that they assumed was their grandfather. Inching forward slowly, Catrina hurriedly peeked around the corner, before turning back towards Catina with wide, excited eyes.

"It's grandfather!" Catrina whispered excitedly.

Catina covered her mouth with her hands in an attempt to stifle her gasp.

Catrina waved her hand hinting at Catina to take a peek.

Peeking around the corner, Catina's eyes widened as she easily spotted her grandfather. He sat straight, as he calmly conversed with her mother, his blonde hair neatly combed back, his green eyes shining with a hint of amusement.

It was clear to anyone with eyes who her mother took after.

Startled by the sudden weight on her body, glanced up, only to see her sister hovering over her, as she continued peeking.  Catina was about to whisper to her sister, but was distracted by her grandfather's voice.

"I understand you're worried, but I'm sure you would have been able to handle this on your own." Her grandfather, Anthony, said reassuringly.

Amelia sighed, "Even with your words the nervousness doesn't seem to disappear."

Anthony rubbed her back soothingly, "There's nothing to worry about, our family has always had a good affinity with the elements."

Amelia snorted, "I must not be apart of the family then."

Anthony sighed but didn't speak, he knew that nothing he said would ease the anxiety she was feeling.  He hoped that Logan would join them soon, calming Amelia was a two person task.

Amelia bit her lip, "Logan has a strong affinity with fire, and our family has always had a strong affinity with water, what if they cancel each other out and my daughters end up with nothing?"

Anthony bit his tongue, trying to rein in his laughter, "I'm quite certain that's not how it works."

Amelia huffed, clearly sensing her father's hidden laughter.

Seeing his daughter's annoyance he continued trying to soothe her, "Even if they don't have any affinity with an element, it's not a big deal."

For the first time during their entire conversation, Amelia smiled. Her fathers words had truly warmed her heart, however it didn't damper her desire for her daughters to be blessed with a strong affinity. Although her father had reassured her, she knew how badly it would reflect on their family if she along with her children had no magic affinity.

Seeing her mood improve, Anthony attempted to steer the conversation in a positive direction, "When do you plan on having them tested."

"Perhaps in a few days."

Catina glanced up at her sister, her eyes wide with disbelief.

Catrina backed up, giving her sister space to move, "I guess that's why mother didn't let us know grandfather was here."

Catina stared at her sister, feeling slightly uneasy, "Do you think it was meant to be a surprise."

Catrina shrugged, "If it was, when the time comes just pretend to be surprised."

"I don't think I'll be able to do that." Catina said worriedly.

"Isn't that what our etiquette classes are for? To learn how to hide our true feelings and thoughts?" Catrina questioned.

Catina pursed her lips, "I don't think our instructor would be happy with the way you described her class."

Catrina rolled her eyes, "I'm just speaking the truth."

"I wonder what my two lovely daughters are doing here?" Logan questioned.

Catina jumped in fright, while Catrina stood in front of her protectively, only relaxing her stance when she realized it was their father.

"Father! It's not polite to sneak up on someone." Catrina lectured sternly, while she secretly tried to calm her beating heart.

"Neither is ease dropping on someone, but here you are." Logan replied casually.

Catrina's face flushed in embarrassment, while Catina grabbed onto the sleeve of her dress, her head bowed.

Catrina rubbed her ears, wanting to say something in their defense, but she could only apologize.