Chapter 5

Catina sat quietly staring absentmindedly out of the library window. Catrina didn't have practice today, but Catina still found herself going back to the library. The library had become one of the few places in the huge mansion where Catina could get a moment of peace, a place where she could find comfort.

After the conversation with her mother a few days ago, Catina found herself at a loss. Even though her mother was only worried about her, Catina still got annoyed with her. Even though her mother only wanted to help, Catina still got upset with her.

The truth was Catina didn't know how to explain how she felt. What was she supposed to say to her mother? That knowing Catina was practicing swordsmanship made her feel unpleasant?

After days of thinking about it, Catina begun to understand what was bothering her, but even when she knew what the problem was, the feeling didn't disappear.

Suddenly Catina heard the sound of footsteps, judging by how heavy they were Catina had a hunch that it was her elder sister.

Just as predicted Catrina soon came into sight.

"Geez, even though it's our free day, you're coped up in here." Catrina spoke, annoyance lacing her tone.

Still looking out the window, Catina didn't dare to face her sister, "It's quiet in here."

"It's also quiet in the garden, lets go there instead." Catrina responded enthusiastically. She knew that Catina loved having tea in the garden, so she was sure she would accept.

"I'm fine, you can go on without me."

To say Catrina was shocked would be an understatement, Catina had never turned down one of her proposals before. "Then how about we go pester father into taking us into town?"

"It's a bit hot today isn't it? Maybe another time."

Despite the reasonable explanation given, Catina was a terrible liar and her body often betrayed her. Still Catrina didn't call her out on her lie and instead offered to accompany her in the library, only to be refused once more.

Even though Catrina could obviously tell that her younger sister didn't want to spend time with her, she refused to give up easily. She couldn't understand why Catina was upset with her, why she refused to spend time with her.

What Catrina did understand was that when Catina wasn't by her side, she felt lonely.

Catrina bit her lip, "Was it something I did?"

"Eh?" Catina's eyes widened in shock, and for the first time since Catrina entered the room, she turned to face her.

Catrina sighed, "You've been avoiding me lately haven't you?"

Catina opened her mouth to respond, but didn't know what to say, causing silence to reign.

Dejected, Catrina took a seat near Catina and joined her in looking out the window.

"Do you think we'll be together forever?" Catina suddenly asked.

"Of course!" Catrina immediately answered, "We're twins, isn't it natural we'd be together forever?"

"Is that so?" Catina couldn't stop the smile that graced her face.

"You know, when I look into a mirror, you're the one I see." Catrina carried on, obviously happy that Catina was talking to her again. "We're practically the same person."

"Like soulmates?"

Excited, Catrina grabbed Catina's hand, "You're definitely the other half of my soul! That's why we have to stick together, you can't just ignore me okay?"

Catina nodded.

"Let's make a promise!" Catrina held out her pinky finger, urging Catina to do the same. "A promise that we'll always be together, no matter what happens."

Catina happily linked her finger with her sister's, when a small red butterfly landed on the intertwined fingers. Startled Catina jerked her hand, causing the butterfly to fly away.

"Where did that come from?" Catrina questioned curiously.

"I don't know." Catina answered nervously, if a butterfly could get into the library, did that mean other bugs could also get inside? "Maybe we should inform one of the maids."

Catrina rolled her eyes, "It's just a butterfly Tina, no need to get upset."

"I suppose your right, I might be overreacting."