Chapter Two

Drea POV

Hey y'all wassup it's ya girl Drea. I know it's been a minute but lemme catch yall up.

I just turned eighteen and moved outta Neecey house. Not gon lie kinda miss her and her cooking. But you know this is something I gotta do.

I woke up today with many missed calls from Neecey.

Yes I know Tommy was getting out today but I really ain't tryna see him all messed up after six years. I'll wait a lil bit to see if I get any phone calls saying he round here shanking niggas and going crazy.

But anyway, let's get on with my day.

So today I was gonna be going to my first job interview and hopefully things went well.

I took a shower and did my makeup. I lotioned my body and put some product in my hair.

I put on my clothes and grabbed my car keys.

I was in my car when Jayla was calling me.

"Wassup Jay?". I answered backing out my parking space.

"Uhm where ya at you said you was taking me and Maya to the mall today". Jayla sounded mad.

I ain't gon lie I only agreed so she would leave me alone.

"Ok. Well I got a interview but I'll take y'all after that". I rolled my eyes.

"You betta". She hung up the phone.

Sometimes I just wanna fight ha. But I'm a better person I done growed up and glo'd up.

I pulled up to this interview to be a psychological intern. I guess you could say I was trying to follow in Neecey footsteps.

I gathered all my stuff and walked in.

*
I damn near waited thirty minutes. My appointment was at nine o'clock and it's 9:27.

Then finally the assistant called my name.

"She is ready for you". She handed me a folder with all my paper work inside.

I walked into the lady's office and took a seat.

"Are you...Sasha?". She looked down at some paper with names on it.

"No. I'm Drea, Drea Jackson". I was getting real hot.

"Oops. Sorry, so Drea why do you want this internship?". She began the interview.

Because y'all hiring the fuck. Just kidding.

"I think I would be right for this interview because psychology and the mind really interest me". I answered with a smile.

She asked me more questions and then concluded the interview.

"One more question, do you always wear your hair like that?". She asked causing me to raise my eyebrows.

"What does my hair, have to do with this interview?". I frowned.

"Well, our company has a commercial view of what our employees look like and your hair is...different". She couldn't even look me on the face.

"So basically my hair is to black for your company? Is that what your saying". I folded my arms.

She better be lucky I wasn't old Drea cause old Drea woulda hopped cross this table on ha ass.

"No. I'm saying that our patients may feel better with a more consistent hair type. Some of them do believe that people are trying to kill them so a different hairstyle from what we normally see would be...confusing for the patients". She really was sitting here trying to justify what she was saying.

"Ok well, this interview is over and I don't need a follow up call I don't want you to hire me because I refuse to work for someone who is offended by my blackness. I thank God everyday for my curls and that I'm black and for you to try and take that from me is really ignorant of you. And yes I wear my hair like this everyday and when I get tired of it it's still gon be the same because I don't get tired of my blackness". I grabbed my purse and walked out the damn office.

Well Plan B I guess.

*
Ten minutes later I pulled up to Neecey house and blowed the horn.

"Hey sus how was the interview". Jayla said getting in the front seat.

"Long story short I got pissed off so I told her don't hire me cause I wouldn't want to work for somebody like her because she wanted to make me straighten my hair so I could look like the rest of them. Nah to hell with that". I shook my head.

"Well what chu gon do now?". Maya asked.

"I'on know but I need something to work". I sighed.

I took they lil bad asses to the mall and they headed straight to Footlocker.

I went over to the food court to go see my boo. Yes I have a boo, shocking right.

"Hey baby". I smiled at my boyfriend Jeremiah.

"Ayy you came to see a nigga. But what's up". He hugged me and kissed my forehead while I laughed.

"Nothing just taking my sisters to shop and whatever else they wanna do". I smiled.

Jeremiah was light-skinned with hazel eyes. He had brown curly hair and a body to die for.

"That's wassup-

Before he could say anything else,  a man that was at the front of the line started yelling.

"What chu mean you calling the police! I ain't do shit! All I asked was that you take my coupon that has NOT expired man fuck y'all!". The guy reached into his bag and pulled out a gun.

I was shocked but I immediately ran back to my sisters.

"Come on we gotta go". I pulled them out of Footlocker and as we were leaving we heard gun shots.

We got in the car and waited to see what was gonna happen.

I know I left Jeremiah but my sisters come first and who's to say he wasn't gonna shoot up the whole mall.

"Dang can't even go to the mall these days. These fools stay shooting up something". Maya shook her head.

When the police came I got out and told Maya and Jayla to stay in the car.

The manager of the Annie's Pretzels came out.

"Hey where is Jeremiah". I asked looking round.

"H-He didn't make it".

Makin MovesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara