Chapter two

I had been at work for around two hours and still wasn't entirely convinced that I hadn't hallucinated the whole radio incident. It was sort of surreal listening to your work, and essentially you, being praised on a radio show you listen to most mornings. When the phone rang at the office I answered with the same professional greeting I could recite in my sleep and wasn't surprised when Lily, my boss, was on the other end. It wasn't unusual for her to call multiple times a day, especially when she was away. It was her topic of discussion though that caught me off guard. 

"So my phone has been going off like mad with texts and emails from people I know to congratulate me on the lovely radio shout out I didn't know we were receiving?" she questioned. 

"Oh god, yeah funny story, that is." I started. "So well Nick Grimshaw was one of our appointments yesterday and he ended up kind of hanging 'round for quite a while. Hanging around like asking questions and stuff about the dogs, not like I was buggering off! But I didn't like beg him to talk about us on radio, I swear! It completely surprised me too..." I rambled on. 

"Savannah, love, deep breaths!" She chuckled. "I'm thrilled to see such positivity being thrown our way! Especially on something as widely listened to as The Breakfast Show. Gosh, you don't need to worry." I instantly relaxed knowing I wasn't going to be reprimanded. She continued the conversation and went on to ask about how we were doing on our own until she got a text from someone that she had to head out right away for a rescue.

Tony and I had just been hanging out for most of the day, after going through all our morning chores we had an appointment cancel so we didn't have much else to so. Despite the fact that Tony was just over 40 we had quite a good relationship, he was divorced from his wife and reminded me of my dad a lot. Which I suppose is why I was so comfortable with him. 

We were just discussing some possibilities for lunch for the day when Tony hopped up to answer the phone. I heard a faint, "Oh yeah she's right here!" before being handed the phone. I looked at it for a second with wide eyes before taking it. 

"Hello?" I said. 

"Hello Savannah! It's Nick!" He greeted. 

"Oh hi again, I'm guessing you made a decision?" I asked. 

"I have, yeah! When should I come by?" I could hear the enthusiasm in his voice, but there was also something else I couldn't quite place. 

"Uh well, give me just one second and I'll check when would be best." I said as I headed over to the desk with our appointment schedule. "Could you come by around 2ish today? That, or around 10-11 tomorrow?" I suggested.

"Today's great! I'll see ya then love! Byeeee," he rushed. 

I started my goodbye, but he had already hung up. It wasn't until a good twenty minutes later that I realized he didn't tell me which dog he chose. 

---

Tony and I decided on the deli just down the road from us for lunch and since we had no one scheduled during the lunch hour we ate together. We easily chatted through lunch and he filled me in on a date he had gone on earlier in the week. He and his wife had got divorced a little over a year ago and he just recently started casually seeing someone. I was glad he was comfortable talking about it with me, I saw it as practice for when I could finally convince my dad to start dating. 

My mom and dad had been divorced since about two years after my younger brother, Connor, was born. After three kids together and years of marriage, my mom decided she "couldn't handle the pressure" she was suddenly feeling and bolted. None of us kids had exactly positive feelings towards her, my older brother Ryan especially and he had no issue with voicing that. While my dad, on the other hand, won't speak a bad word of her. But even though he insists that he's completely over her abrupt departure, he still hasn't dated since.