Chapter eighteen

Author's Chapter Notes:

Savannah's texts are italics, Harry's are bold

Harry’s POV

It was around 1pm and I was trying to work up the courage to call Savannah during my afternoon break. We had spoken on the phone briefly the day before, but other than that we had only texted since our Skype session three days ago. I’d been working like crazy, hoping I’d be able to leave earlier than scheduled, and Savannah had picked up an extra shift or two at the shelter. 

But it was 9pm her time now, so I figured it was late enough that she’d be home from work and early enough that she wouldn’t be in bed just yet. I scrolled through my phone to find her name and hit call before I could chicken out. 

“Hello?” She answered on the third ring sounding absolutely beat. 

I laughed a little at her tone, “Well, you sound knackered.” 

“Well, I am.” She told me with a loud sigh. 

“Oh. You can call me back later or-” I began once I realized that she actually sounded properly exhausted. 

“No, it’s alright. I just need one second, I was running a bath.” I gulped. 

“Savannah, really, you can call me once you’re done.” I tried to reason with her. 

“I want to talk to you. Just one second.” I heard her put the phone down so that she couldn’t hear me anymore. “Okay, all set.” I tried not to think about the fact that I knew she was naked right now. This was hardly the time. 

“Comfortable?” I asked as I heard her let out a deep breath. 

“Very. I worked full days the past three days at the shelter and basically everything hurts.” She told me with a slight whine to her voice. I didn’t blame her though. I’d gone to the shelter with her for a day once and you’d be surprised at how much heavy lifting she does. Three full days of it and I was certain her body would be screaming. 

 “You okay though?” I asked, concerned. 

“Yeah, ‘m okay. How’s LA been?” I paused for a beat. There had been a reasoning I was calling to talk to her, but I was nervous about bringing it up. 

“Good, yeah, good.” 

I could practically hear the wheels in her heading turning, “Are you alright, Harry?” She asked suspiciously. 

“Can I talk to you about something without freaking you out?” I asked, holding my breath. 

“I-let’s see...give it a go, yeah?” I heard the water slosh around a bit in the tub and I imagined her drawing her knees up to her chest. 

“An old friend of mine asked me to meet up with her tonight.” I started with, hoping that if I put enough exaggeration on “friend” she’d understand what I meant and I wouldn’t have to explain it. 

“Oh.” Maybe it was worse that she understood it, that it was easy for her to come to the conclusion that I had these “friends” all over. 

“I know we never really talked about what this is, I mean, we’ve only been on one date,” I laughed nervously. “But I-”

“Harry if anything happens, it’s okay.” I heard her take a deep breath and she continued with a shaky voice. “Because you’re right, we didn’t talk about it and we have only been on one date. It’s not my place to be making demands of you.”