Chapter three

I woke up early next morning so that I had time to stop by my favorite cafe for breakfast before getting everything ready to take over to Nick’s. I was immediately greeted by the elderly owner, Norma, as I walked inside.

“Would you like your usual, dear?” she asked sweetly.

“That’d be lovely, thank you!” Norma had memorized my order by my tenth trip in here. I almost always got the same order, tea with milk and three sugars, unless it was December and she had her holiday flavors.

It was surprisingly nice out so I had chose to walk today. I had thrown on the first pair of dirty, broken in Converse I could find in my room along with some jean shorts and a plain, long sleeved white shirt. My hair was down at the moment, but I knew that once I got to cleaning out kennels I’d have it thrown up in a topknot before I was finished.

I hadn’t thought of Nick’s home check until I got into work and realized I was now going to have to take one of our work vans since I walked and there was no way I was walking all the way to Nick’s with the dog. So I loaded Ringo into the front seat of the van and took off.

When I arrived I put Ringo into the back part of the van in his crate with a bowl of water after giving him a treat. Protocol was for me to go around and check everything in Nick’s house first to make sure it was dog friendly and then bring him in. I knocked on the door and heard muffled shouting before it was yanked open and I was faced with Harry.

“Hi,” he dragged out slowly as his eyes fell down to my legs. They shot back up almost immediately after as if he hadn’t meant for them to look down in the first place.

“Hello.” He looked at me in a strange way that had me avoiding eye contact, instead I focused quickly on his hair which was tied up with a dark green scarf. I knew he could tell where I was staring and I didn’t want him to think I was being rude so I shot out, “I like your headband.”

Just then Nick appeared behind him and threw an arm around his shoulder ruffling Harry’s hair. “I bloody well hope you do, he’s been fussing with it all morning. He must like you, babe, because he’s washed his hair AND has put on his new scarf.”

I’m sure I was a real sight as I stood there in his doorway with my mouth falling open, my cheeks flaming and my eyes wide. I instantly felt like this wasn’t a good idea, my mouth clamped shut and I shook my hair out from behind my ear. I could feel my defenses go up, not feeling comfortable enough with them yet to banter like this.

“Jesus Nick, how about a little tact? We’ve just met the girl and you’re pulling this. How do you ever make new friends?” Harry scolded, although he was fighting laughter. “Hell, how did you ever get me to hang out with you in the first place?”

“That’s okay,” I mumbled, but they continued talking over me.

“To be fair, it’s you I was teasing, mister popstar,” Nick laughed.

“Ah yes, but you may wanna rethink who you’re having a go at. I have a copy from your mum of that video of you when you were 15 confessing your love for Pharrell.” Harry got about halfway through the threat before he couldn’t contain his laughter.

I actually found myself amused at their exchange and could feel my cheeks cooling down.

“Ok enough!” Nick yelled and turned to me. “Come on in babe, sorry we get a bit carried away sometimes.”

“S’alright,” I replied and I found that it really was, I felt strangely calmed down already.

Everything in Nick’s house was fine, I wasn’t surprised considering he already had a dog. The dog he already owned was an absolute sweetheart. Both the boys seemed surprised when Puppy took a liking to me, apparently he could be quite picky when it came to new people. When I looked up they were looking at me, Nick with surprise and pleasure. Harry though, I couldn't quite place the look he was giving me, it reminded me of the one my dad wore when he stared at my younger brother’s artwork.