Chapter sixteen

I felt as though my ear was ringing after I hung up with Grace. I called to tell her all about me and Harry and our plans for Monday on Saturday morning and she promptly shrieked like a banshee in my ear.

She offered to come over before our date and get me ready, but I declined. I wanted to be 100% me for this, wearing something I knew I was comfortable in, with my regular hair and make up. I didn’t want anything with Harry to feel forced, like I was trying too hard. I was already as nervous enough as it is.

It seemed to be a good nervous though. The kind you get before something you’ve been waiting for, like your favorite band’s concert or seeing an old friend who moved away. I was trying not to think too much about it though.

Our date was planned for Monday and I had all weekend to stress about it or I could focus on other things. Thankfully I had work on Saturday and that was enough to keep my mind from wandering back to Harry. We had a new puppy in the shelter that I had quickly fallen in love with, so I spent a good amount of Saturday with the little guy.

I woke up on Sunday and decided on doing a massive clean of my whole flat, which would definitely take me a while. About half way through the project my phone started to ring with a call from Connor.

“Hello?”

“Sav! What are you up to today?” Connor asked excitedly.

“Cleaning my flat. Why? What’s going on?” I could tell he had something up his sleeve from his tone.

“I sold a painting!”

“What?! That’s great, Con! I didn’t know you were selling any?”

“Yeah, not so long ago I put a few up in this coffee shop on campus that displays artists from the university, but I never thought anyone would really buy any of it.” He said, still sounding in awe.

“Of course people would want to buy your stuff, Connor! It’s incredible.” I told him truthfully. I was always honest with Connor about his work, so I hoped he’d take my compliment seriously.

“Yeah, well. Get ready, lunch on me!”

“Con, you don’t have to do that. You just got that money, save it.”

“I want to. You’ve always been the one to support me the most. When dad and Ry both tried to tell me that I should go to uni for something more practical, you were always on my side.” I was speechless for a moment. “Please, Sav.”

I let out a breath. “Fine...only because that was really sweet. Next time you sell something, I’m taking you out and paying in celebration, deal?”

“Deal.” He said with a laugh.

I got ready quickly to meet him. I had put my hair up in a quick braided up-do when I was cleaning so that it was off my face and neck and decided it was presentable enough to go out with. I pulled on black jeans and paired them with a new top I had got at Sylvia’s, it was a bright aqua colored t-shirt with pink flowers on it. I threw on some black flats and was out the door.

Connor and I were sat for our meal and he launched into the story of getting the call about his painting and then meeting with the prospective buyer. It was great to see him so happy and in such high spirits.

As we ate our food I noticed Connor staring at the two elderly people sat a few tables away from us.

“Have you ever noticed that whenever people see old people together, they always assume they’re couples?”

“What?” I asked, completely baffled as to where that came from.

“It’s true! Like those two,” He pointed to the side. I gave him a stern glare and swatted at his hand. I was always telling him not to blatantly point at people, it was rude. “I bet anyone who looks at them assumes that they’re a couple. Girls are always cooing at old people, like ‘Look at them! I bet they’ve been together for so long! Blah, blah, blah.’ But why? Why can’t that be us in 60 years?”