◾️18◾️

Khia

"Goodmorning."

"Morning."

I poured Keenon's orange juice and Penny came in the kitchen humming a song and plopped down at the table.

"Ooo, mom's cooking? Are you about to deliver a speech or something?"

"No, silly. I just decided to cook breakfast."

Then walked in Isiah he nodded and I smiled and he sat across from Keenon. They didn't make eye contact and it worried me because I didn't know how long this would be like this. Maybe they still needed some time. I know after all that happened the other night, we all needed time. We all need a vacation.

"So, how did everybody sleep?"

"I slept good." Penny munched on her food

"Besides the fact Penny kicking me in my back... I slept okay." Keenon sat down his cup and chuckled causing the rest of us to laugh.

"And you Isaiah?" I turned my attention to him

"Good, but.. I have to say I'll be leaving soon."

"Why? Where will you go?" I sat down my fork now giving him my undivided attention

"I don't know, I just think I need a mini vacation."

"Hell, don't we all? What you got in mind? I was just talking to the guys about this not too long ago."

"Shit, anywhere.. beachy, relaxing."

"Well is y'all for real? Cause I'm gon need $500 for new clothes."

"Penny no, your about to need a job." I shook my head cause she was becoming expensive day by day.

"I'm good luv, enjoy."

We laughed cause of the face she made afterwards, but I began to think. A family vacation wouldn't sound too bad at all. I mean after all we've all been thru. I'd say it will be worth the wait.

knock knock knock

We all got quiet and Keenon wiped his hands and mouth going to the door. I looked at the time and it was too early for anybody to be coming over and nobody said they was coming over so I got up and followed him.

Keenon

I looked thru the peep hole and noticed the cops, cursing under my breath a million things went thru my head.

"Open up LAPD!"

"What the hell? The police? Why are they here?" I turned around to see Khia with her arms crossed and a worried look on her face.

"It's okay baby, it's okay."

I opened the door and they immediately stepped inside handcuffing me.

"Keenon Jackson, you are under arrest for the murder of Jakorey Peters. Anything you say will be held-"

"What? WHAT? Do you guys have a warrant? You just can't come up in here snatching my husband! I demand a warrant!"

"Hey hey, Khia what's going on?" Isaiah came around the corner to hold her back and he was looking confused. "Excuse me officer but what is this?"

"It says right here, this is the warrant. Let's go Mr.Jackson."

"Khia, listen to me! Call Stevedores! STEVEDORES! I love you baby okay?"

I watched her cry out and reach for me but her brother held her back and it was like everything moved in slow motion when I got to the end of the drive way. Penny ran outside and Isaiah grabbed her before the cops did and slammed her on the ground.

"Daddy?"

I mouthed that it's okay, everything is fine from the back of the police car but she wasn't convinced because she knew, and so did I. I'd probably never see my wife and kid again.