memory loss

Black. It was all I saw for a while. I felt like I was floating in an endless abyss. I was here but not here all at the same time. Now and then I would hear muffled voices but I could never make out the words. Sometimes I would see familiar faces in dreams but I couldn't remember who they were or what they meant to me. Everything was so dark and foggy.

A huge cloud hovered over my memories and wouldn't go away, no matter how hard I tried to fight it.

I didn't remember why I was here and what happened. Was I someone else before? Was I even alive?

I was walking in black. I could feel my legs moving, one foot in front of the other. At least I knew how to walk. But was I actually walking? Was any of this real?

A small glimmer of light caught my attention and I took off towards it. I wasn't sure why, but I felt like it was my escape. It had to be, right? As I got closer, my eyes squinted against the rays. What was it? Was I even here? What was reality and what wasn't?

A silhouette of a man stood there, watching me. I couldn't make out the facial features but I felt as if I knew him. His aura was warm and comforting. Another figure joined and then more. Who were these people? Once again, was this real?

The man stepped forward towards me and I held my breath. I could make out his facial features finally. He had a beard and ocean blue eyes. I knew him, but I couldn't think of who he was to me. My father?

His hair was curly and brushed back neatly. A blue button up shirt clung to his lean yet muscular figure. He smiled softly at me and I released the breath I had been holding. A woman walked up behind him and she wrapped her arms around his body. She sat her head on his shoulder and smiled at me lovingly. Her dark skin was glowing from the mysterious light behind her. Her hair fell on her shoulders in dreadlocks and a headband wrapped around her hair. Who was she? My mother?

After her, a teenage boy walked up with a baby in his arms. The boy had a cowboy hat placed on his head and a bandage wrapped around one of his eyes. The toddler in his arms had a head full of blonde hair and baby blue eyes. They both smiled at me, matching the faces of the two people next to them.

Another man walked from behind and his longish hair fell in his eyes. He was squinting at me but a small smile found his lips. He was wearing a vest and I caught a glimpse of angel wings on the back when he situated a crossbow on his shoulder.

Beside him was a pregnant woman with green eyes and long hair. She smiled at me. A skinny Korean man walked up to her and placed a kiss on her cheek. Her hands were sitting on her protruding stomach as she stared at me.

Beside the boy, a large bulky man with red hair stood with his arm around a woman with dark skin. She winked at me and then turned to the man beside her. He leaned down and kissed her lovingly.

A woman with grayish short hair appeared behind the guy with the crossbow. He turned to her and smiled. She kissed his forehead before turning to me and giving me a small smile.

Next, a skinny woman with warm brown skin appeared next to the man with the red hair. She had a small scar below her right eye but she had a large smile on her full lips.

Who were these people? What did this mean? Was it real?

I flinched when a hand was on my shoulder. I looked to my shoulder and followed the arm up to the figure next to me. He was tall, lean, and handsome. Stubble was strewn across his stone features. Dimples popped through when he smiled at me. His leather jacket squeaked when he sat his arm down. His brown eyes were soft and full of love. Who was he?

My eyes trailed back to the group in front of me and they all wore frowns. They looked nervous, worried even. Their eyes were fixed on the man next to me and their mouths turned from frowns to scowls.