execution

My mind was dark. I was floating aimlessly in an a dark abyss, my body totally numb and my thoughts quiet. I could faintly hear my heartbeat; a dull and low thumping sound that seemed to echo.

That was the only sound for awhile until a familiar voice rang out into the pitch black.

"You've forgotten about us." The voice said, clipping their words harshly.

A dim light appeared, letting me see my surroundings. I was in a forest, the pine smell instantly hitting my nose as the leaves and bark appeared around me. The leaves in the trees fluttered lightly, sending the breeze towards me. A slight shiver chilled through me. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked down at my body. I was in regular clothes, but as I held my hands out in front of me, a dark red seemed to coat my palms. Blood drowned out my skin tone, taking over the once peachy colored skin. It dripped down my elbows, drying as it went.

A quick snap of a branch made me turn to look behind me, my breath catching in my throat. The owner of the voice stood directly in front of me, only 10 feet away. Memories flooded through my brain as he stood in front of me.

Tyler.

My breath hitched in my throat as I looked into his familiar eyes. He looked just as I remembered him. My eyes trailed down to his torso and I felt bile tickle the back of my throat. Gunshot wounds littered his body. Blood poured from the open wounds and trickled down on to his clothes. As I stared at him, his words caught up to me.

"I would never forget about you." I breathed out as I stepped closer. His face scrunched up in a scowl and he looked down at his own body.

"But you did. Even when I was alive." My heart sunk and I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. His words stung and I knew that ultimately there was a truth to what he was saying.

Another figure stepped out from behind a tree, their appearance matching Tyler's.

Willow.

"Why did you forget about us? Did we not matter to you?" Her voice rang out in the woods around us. The only sound was their voices and mine. No birds. No wind rustling the leaves. Nothing.

"You did matter to me-"

"Not enough, apparently. You replaced us." Tyler spit. His fists were balled at his sides, a look of rage covering his features.

"I didn't replace you, Ty. When this shit happened, I found a group and they welcomed me like family. You know that." I defended myself. Although his words hurt, I also found myself getting angry.

"Then why didn't you investigate more about our deaths? Why did you just let us go so quickly?" Willow stepped forward too. I sunk backwards.

They were right. When they died, I never learned why. I never learned who did this to them. I just buried them and moved on with a heavy heart. It wasn't intentional.

"You're right. I didn't and I am so, so sorry. I love you guys so much-"

"If you loved us so much you wouldn't have forgotten. You are selfish. All you cared about was yourself and how YOU were going to survive. You didn't even come to look for us until we were dead." Tyler was getting closer now. Every step he took only caused more blood to pour from his body. I started to back up as he descended, my voice caught in my throat at his harsh words. My body stopped when I hit the bark of a tree.

"I came back into your life and you brushed me off. You acted like I didn't even exist. The only thing you cared about was him. And that is the reason we are dead." He was in my face now, his chest heaving up and down wildly as he spoke. The tears were now flowing freely down my face.