Chapter 5

(Star's POV)

(The next morning)

I had only just gotten up and changed when I walked downstairs to see that the Diaz's had thrown Stella a party for her third day here. "Good morning Star." Marco said when he noticed me.

"Good morning everyone." I said cheerfully as I joined Marco, his parents, and Stella.

"You're up late, Star." Mr. Diaz noted. "Did you have trouble sleeping?"

"No trouble." I answered. "I just … forgot to set my alarm." I lied. In truth, I was actually hopping to miss the party the Diaz's had thrown for Stella but it would appear that I didn't have much luck.

"Well glad you could make it." Marco replied. "It would be a shame if you missed this party."

I laughed slightly. There would just be another one for her tomorrow. I thought. "Anyway, Marco, what's the plan for later today?" I asked as I took a slice of cake.

Marco swallowed a bite of cake. "Didn't you have a private show to go to?"

"That's not 'till tonight." I answered. "So what's on the agenda?"

Marco looked at Stella then back at me. "Um … well … I thought that you were going to be busy all day so …"

"Marco and I had plans on practicing." Stella finished.

I felt the empty feeling inside me get a little more intense, but I didn't let it show.

"But you can come with us." Marco added.

"No, that's all right." I replied. "I'll just meet up with him ahead of time and we can hang out before the show." I put down what was left of my plate and made my way to the door. "Maybe Ludo will attack and …" I paused. "Nah, after yesterday I don't think his henchmen are up for another go."

"Wait … you fought Ludo yesterday?" Marco asked.

I smiled as I opened the door. "Oh, it's nothing to worry about, Marcus helped me fight him off."

Marco looked at me surprised. "Marcus?"

I nodded as I looked back. "Yeah, the guy who's giving me a private show today. Bye!" I closed the door and quickly began walking.

(Marco's POV)

I watched as Star left the house leaving with more questions than answers and a broken feeling inside me. "Who's Marcus?" I asked.

Stella shrugged. "I thought that you would know."

"Why does that name sound familiar?" My mom asked.

"You think it's the Dixon's?" My dad asked.

"The Dixon's?" I asked. "Who are they?"

"The other major foreign exchange student hosting family." My mom answered. "They get slightly less than us, but they are still great people."

"How come I've never heard about them?" I asked.

"You never asked." My mom answered.

"Isn't their son talented with pyrotechnics?" My dad asked.

"Did you say pyrotechnics?" I asked. "As in fireworks?"

"Yes, he's really talented from what I've heard." My mom added.

"Wait wait wait." I said as I waved my hands. "Fireworks? As in, explosions of fire and color, fireworks? As in the exact thing that Star loves almost as much as fighting?"

"Jealous of having more competition for Star's affection than just Oscar?" Stella asked with a coy look on her face.

"What?" I asked defensively. "I'm … not in love with Star … I'm just worried about her." I looked over at the door. "I should talk to her." I began making my way to the door before Stella grabbed my hood causing me to fall over backwards.