Chapter 16

Carson^^

Jay's POV

"Where is Carson?" My father asked when I walked into his house without my precious mate at my side.

Before I could even answer my mother was speaking, "he better be on his way. Dinner is almost ready and now that's he's officially part of this family he can't bail."

"You're acting like he wasn't part of it before," I commented while stealing a piece of watermelon.

"He was, but now that the two of you are mates it's official. Carson can't have a reason to miss dinner with us." My father answered. It was true, my parents were Carson's second parents from the time he was born until now. The only difference now was that they were now his in-laws.

As if on cue, Carson walked through the door with a small smile on his perfect face.

"Hey, sorry I'm a couple of minutes late." He apologized as walked into the kitchen to find my family and me standing.

"Oh, it's fine dear. We were just saying that you couldn't bail on us. How are you though? I feel like I haven't seen you in weeks." My mother fussed whilst walking over to my mate and hugging him.

"I'm fine, sorry I've just been busy," Carson said sheepishly.

"Too busy to come and visit me, hmm, now you have to because we're in-laws and it's only polite." My mother ruffled his hair before going over to the oven and taking dinner out.

"You're acting like I never saw you before," Carson responded as he walked next to me and leaned back against the counter.

"I haven't seen you in a while. Ever since you two found out you're mates actually. We've been in the same room but haven't actually talked. Now we get to talk all night." My mother was enthusiastic and her and my father brought dinner out to the table.

"How did talking with your dad go?" I asked quietly. Before we had to come over for dinner Carson wanted to go talk to his dad about his mom.

"He wasn't home, Zayn was though. We talked for a bit and I had a piece of apple pie." Mom amour explained with a giddy smile on his face. Ever since we were little kids Carson has always loved apple pie. I remember the one time that we tried to make it.

Flashback: they're six years old.

"That's too much sugar!" Carson screeched while I continued to pour more and more in.

"You can never have too much sugar, so I beg to differ." Sugar was practically my lifeline. Anything sweet, if I was being honest.

"Ugh, just put the crust on it after you mix it," Carson demanded before he began wiping up the mess we had made.

"You're demanding. Since when are you the queen?" I questioned as I pressed down the top crust with my fingers.

"Since forever. You can be the prince I guess." His nose turned up at broken eggs all over the counter from the dough.

"If I'm going to be anyone it will be a king. Then we're equals." I moved the chair I was standing on over to the microwave so I could try heating up the pie.

"So now we're married?"

"Yes." Was my simple answer.

"So if I'm the queen why am I the one cleaning up. You should be doing that." As he said his last sentence I put the pie in the microwave and pushed some buttons to make it go for five minutes. That should be long enough.