20: Missed Connections

July 20, 2018

"If you go to Craigslist, there is a "Missed Connections" section where you can find some interesting story lines to inspire your writing. " 

______________________________________________

Dear Lady with the yellow umbrella,

Do you recollect me? Though I would not think it amiss if you did not, even if you did smile at me in the passing; it was a rainy day and you must be focussed on where you stepped, while clutching the yellow umbrella. It is understandable, for you must be rushing to reach your destination without getting wet or having muddy water splashed on you. Yet in the crowd of rainbow umbrellas you stood out, something about you called to me, the entire two minutes that you took to walk towards me and then continue beyond; though ephemeral, it was like an eternity of longing.

A longing rendered poignant when I caught your eyes, I knew you had seen me too. You did smile at me, though now, a whole week after the incident, a part of me thinks it could have been a mere courtesy, one that we bestow on strangers who walk with us for a brief second before being lost in the endless sea of humanity.

I only wish I had turned back quick enough, I had hesitated a little too long, for when I did turn around, I could not see you. You might wonder how I would know it is you; a yellow umbrella would have covered you and your black dress would not be so visible. You would also be sure that none would be able to see the thick black curls of your hairs, despite you restraining them with a butterfly clip. But for me your umbrella was the yellow of a sun peeking through the black clouds and you were a ray of sunshine, I was sure I could recognise you. Unfortunately, I could not catch a single glimpse of you; you had disappeared like the sun covered by storm clouds, from my eyes yet not from my mind.

Today I finally have worked up the courage to post this for you, I know you would recognise me and I hope that you would have also felt the connection, if so can we meet somewhere?

Yours faithfully,

The Guy from the crosswalk on 5th Avenue and 42nd.

__________________________________________

Word count 359

I had selected the following as my story prompt:

"Passing in theRain (Midtown East)

I never do this, but we passed by each other on the crosswalk on 5th ave and 42nd. It was pouring rain and we both had umbrellas. You were beautiful, wearing black and had this long wavy black hair. You smiled at me as we crossed paths. I turned around to find you, but lost you in the crowd.

If you can describe me and the time of day it was, reach out. I'll buy you a drink."

However, what I would like to share is this one story which is a gem, as the someone mentioned, it should be made into a movie or maybe someone could write a book? The link is below:

https://www.glamour.com/story/craigslist-missed-connection-boston-best