166. Fantasy

December 14, 2018

"Write about fairies, gnomes, elves, or other mythical creatures."

____________________________________________

Elves and gnomes, dwarfs and troll, fairies and angels, dragons and chimera, anthropomorphic animals and animalistic humans, we surely have a fantastic imagination. Slightly based on facts and mostly imagined and exaggerated, each civilisation has it own set of fantasy creatures - larger than humans, wittier than man, stupider than the village idiot, the attributes are endless. As are the possibilities to tell stories.

I wonder why we need such larger than life creatures to enliven our worlds, we create new worlds, invent languages and conceive lifeforms that are, at times, downright weird. And we wage war, infusing them with human attributes. It could be fun, though at times it is absolutely stupid. 

But speaking as an addict to the high fantasy genre of books, I simply love them, both those which stick to the cliche (fire breathing, fierce dragons, ugly chimera who devour humans as finger foods, shifting animals who rarely like humans, ogres and trolls, ugly ill-mannered brutes, the list is endless. And then there comes a book, where the writer takes one of these fantastical creature and turns it on its head, to spin a wild fantastical story.

Oh, to get lost in the world of fantasy.

________________________________

Word count -200