Chapter Forty-six- Severus suspects

After Jabe had gotten dressed she slowly made her way up to the great hall. 

Jabe was feeling slightly better and as she walked put a fake smile on her face. 

There was no shortage of students that greeted Jabe as she passed them. 

This was due to the fact that Jabe was the better liked potions teacher. Even if she was only an assistant. 

Students had always found Jabe the more tolerable then Severus Snape. Students saw severus as dark. 

And they thought Jabe was light. If only they knew. 

Then there was also the fact that Jabe tended to help other teachers out from time to time. 

Yes technically she was supposed to only be a potions assistant but Dumbledore had her help out other teachers when needed. 

Jabe finally made her way into the great hall and she smiles slightly seeing that Karkaroff was missing. 

This didn't necessarily mean he was dead. 

But Jabe felt conflicted. She both hoped and not hoped that Karkaroff was dead. 

But It made her feel good knowing that he must have been in a lot of pain, if he was still alive. As Jabe takes her seat next to Severus, he turns to her. 

"Morning severus." Jabe greets, putting on her false persona. Severus curtly nods his head towards Jabe. 

"Have you heard the news?" Severus asks and Jabe had to refrain from smirking. 

"No. What news?" She asks. "Karkaroff was attacked last night. Whoever attacked him, nearly killed him and left him for dead." 

Seeing the hidden smirk on jabes face Severus adds "you wouldn't know anything about that would you Jabe?" 

Jabe shakes her head and lies "No. Last night I went back to my chambers after walking Draco to bed." 

Severus didn't believe Jabe. He knew that she had something to do with Karkaroff's attack but he decided to let it go. 

He would have to keep an eye on Jabe. 

Because severus was starting to suspect there was much much more to Jabe then meets the eye. And he wasn't sure that it was all good either. 

Jabe had always had a hidden darkness to her but severus had always overlooked it. But now he was starting to suspect that she had followed into family's footsteps. 

Before the war there had been talk that the dark lord had found his mate. The one who completed him. 

But none of Voldemorts inner circle was ever introduced to this mysterious mate. Severus suspected that Voldemort didn't trust anyone with the identity of his one true love. 

He was far to protective of her. Voldemort would take no chances when it came to the one person who he would ever be able to love.

And Severus was absolutely right. Voldemort had never allowed Jabe to attend any of his meetings before the war. 

Jabe had always known this was for her own safety. And in the end that had been the key factor in Jabe remaining unknown. 

Because had Voldemort introduced Jabe to his inner circle, severus would have told Dumbledore. 

And things would have turned out much differently. 

But now severus suspected in the back of his mind that Jabe had been that mysterious mate. 

And if he was right. Then Merlin help them all. 

Jabe was powerful. Incredibly powerful. 

More powerful then her sisters. All of her sisters. 

And the thought of her being mated to the dark lord. 

It was enough to give severus nightmares. 

So Severus would keep his eyes on jabe. And when he had proof, he would go straight to Dumbledore. To Severus it all made sense. 

Jabe came from a long line of dark and powerful witches and wizards. Her father was a suspected death eater who had possibly been one of the first. 

Jabe would have had access to Voldemort before his downfall. 

Knowing Jabes father, Severus knew that Cygnus Black would have eventually taken his daughter to join the ranks of the Voldemort. 

And that would have been where Jabe first met Voldemort. It all made sense. And Severus couldn't have known how right he was. 

"Will he survive?" Jabe asks while making herself a plate. 

"Poppy doesn't know. She is instant on treating him here, but healers at mungo's say if his condition worsens that he will be transferred there." 

Jabe nods trying to hide the battle within her. "He's lucky to be alive." Pomona Sprout says from jabes other side. 

"Do they know who could have attacked him?" Jabe asks. 

"No. Dumbledore suspects it was someone who held a grudge against Karkaroff." 

Jabe doesn't miss the look Severus gives her as he says this. 

But she ignores him. 

"And with the extent of his injuries I would say he is right." Severus adds. 

"Well that's going to be a long list. Karkaroff is a ex death eater. There's no short of people who would see him dead." Jabe says. 

"But to come to the castle. It's unheard of. It has to be someone within the castle." Pomona says. 

"Not necessarily Pomona. You know as well as I do that there have been times when the wards surrounding the castle have been breeched. Sirius Black managed to do it just last year." Jabe says and Pomona pales. 

"Oh. Don't remind me. It's hard enough to believe you are related to him." She mumbles looking faint. 

Jabe cracks a smile. 

"As much as I enjoy discuss justice for Karkaroff, I do have a classroom to set up with my potions assistant." Severus says standing. 

"Not so fast snape. Black here is going to be helping me today." 

Jabe looks over at the sound of 'Moody's' voice. 

Severus turns and scowls at Moody. "Did she not tell you? Told her yesterday she'd be with me today." Moody grunts. 

Jabe rolls her eyes and stands. 

"Boys as much as I'd love to watch the two of you fight like muggles, Alastor is right. I am going to be helping him today." 

Severus rolls his eyes and nods.