Chapter 8

Later that morning, Aubrey took everyone to the main building of the retreat, where she introduced them to the rest of the staff. She first introduced Karen, a middle-aged woman who just looked like the type of person who would ask to speak to a manager when her favorite coffee shop runs out of almond milk. She was fairly short, even shorter than Beca, but compensated for this by wearing heels which seemed to allow others to hear her approaching from miles away. Her hair was short and appeared unusually poofy. Fat Amy was going to ask her about it when Karen answered her question before she could ask.

"You know staring is rude. I understand that my hair does not look natural, but this is just what happens when you stick a knife into an outlet socket as a child. It never goes back to normal."

The Bellas just exchanged awkward glances so Aubrey broke the silence by introducing the rest of the staff. First was Brenda, an African-American girl in her early twenties who wore large oval glasses. Then Blake who was a seemingly typical surfer dude with wavy, dirty blonde locks and electric-blue eyes. Derek was a French man in his mid to late twenties with brown, flippy hair and honey colored eyes. Lastly, there was Kim, a middle-aged woman with shoulder length brown hair who seemed to have a resting duck face.

"So, it's just the six of you who work here?" Beca inquired.

"Year-round, yes," Brenda answered, "but we tend to have teenagers and college age kids help out for a couple weeks at a time."

"None of them are here right now because Aubrey insisted we postpone our future activities until you leave," Karen interjected, obviously annoyed with Aubrey's decision.

Before Aubrey could fire back at her, Blake spoke up.

"But feel free to stay here as long as you want. We can't imagine what you must be going through right now and we're just glad we can help out."

"Ah, I see where you're going with this," Fat Amy replied, " but you and Derek will just have to muster all of your willpower to stay away because I am taken. I know it's tragic. You may begin your mourning now."

Beca shook her head at Amy's comments, then asked, "So, what's the Wifi password?"

"We don't believe in Wifi, and this is the only place there is cell signal here. We strongly believe in detaching from the outside world once you arrive here." Aubrey answered.

"Well, do you at least have a spot for me to plug in my laptop? Because if I don't get these demos done soon my boss is gonna flip out," Beca said.

Aubrey pointed her to a nearby table where there was a power outlet. Beca took her backpack and soon enough, she had her headphones on and she was off in her own little world. Emily followed her, but sat at a different table to begin pouring her feelings into her songwriting. Benji came with her, but soon realized that there wasn't much he could do for her right now and went over to talk to Jesse.

"Well, I don't know 'bout the rest of y'all, but I'm headin down to the lake," Cynthia Rose said as everyone was separating.

"Back in my country, we did not have the freedom to go to the beach when our friends were getting murdered one by one. But I will come with you." Flo said. "Just let me get my swimsuit."

"Yeah, I could work on tanning my gorgeous self too," Fat Amy added as she ripped off her clothes to reveal her swimsuit.

Fat Amy and Cynthia Rose took off towards the water and left Flo to catch up after she changed clothes.

On her way to the beach, Flo stumbled across a sight that did not shock her, yet perhaps it should have.

"I knew this was going to happen. I'm only surprised I outlived her," Flo stated matter of factly.

Cynthia Rose lie still on the ground clutching her hand over her heart in a pool of blood that was coming from a single stab wound in her chest.

Fat Amy was nowhere to be seen.