Prologue

The feeling that something was wrong settled over me as soon as I was awake. My eyes were still closed. If I opened them, the feeling might actually turn into a reality. I rolled onto my left side which caused multiple parts of my body to start hurting; mostly my head and my left shoulder.

I got up slowly and swung my legs over the edge of the bed. When the room had stopped spinning, I looked around and realised this wasn't my bedroom. The dark wood bedside table had a phone, a pad of paper and a pen with the name of a hotel. Opposite the bed was a white armchair with a door to its left, behind which was a bathroom, I guessed. On the other side of the armchair was a chest of drawers made from the same coloured wood as the bedside table. The wall adjacent to the door had a window overlooking the city. What had happened last night?

I remembered going to the end of summer party that my best friend, Kelsey, had thrown and leaving a little while later. After that nothing was clear.

I saw my phone on the bedside table and unlocked it. There were almost 100 combined missed calls and messages from my parents and Kelsey asking about my whereabouts. I texted them back saying I was okay and that I'd explain everything later. The time on my phone said it was 1 pm, so my parents would be at work and wouldn't see my message for a few more hours. Kelsey however, would have nothing to do except nurse her hangover, which I definitely needed to do, but I needed to figure out why I wasn't at home first.

My phone started ringing, showing my best friend's name. I turned the ringer off deciding that I would answer her later, even if it meant that my life expectancy would go down from 81 to 18.

I stood up and walked to find the bathroom, but before I could go too far, I tripped over something and fell head first onto the carpeted floor.

"Oww," came a groan. "Watch where you're going!" I turned to look at who it was, and was met by a boy sleeping on the floor.

"Wake up," I crawled next to him and shook him. "Wake up! You're in my room. I don't know why! I need to know why! Get up!"

He rolled over and suddenly groaned, clutching the right hand side of his rib cage. "What?" He opened his eyes and squinted at me. "Fallon?" he asked, looking puzzled. It finally dawned on my hungover brain who the guy was on my floor. Levi Turner. The 'bad boy' of our high school. Okay, so he wasn't an actual bad boy, he didn't break any rules and he didn't have a motorcycle. He hadn't ever gotten into a fight either. To be perfectly honest, he was pretty nice. And he was even better looking with his brown hair, chocolate brown eyes, tanned skin and his muscular body. I don't know where the 'bad boy' title came from, but he had it.

He got up quickly and almost fell over. It would have been funny if laughing didn't make me want to throw up. "Where are we?" he asked me, sitting down on the bed.

"Hotel. Do you remember what happened last night?"

He shook his head. "I was at Kelsey's party. I'm assuming you were there too."

"Of course I was gonna be there. She's my best friend."

"Right, yeah. Sorry." It was pretty common knowledge around school that we were like sisters. If you saw me, Kelsey was bound to be nearby and vice versa. "Wait," Levi was having a light bulb moment. "Look on your phone. Messages, photos, there should be something that can help us."

I snatched my phone from the bedside table and went to unlock it but the photo on my lock screen stopped me. I'd been too tired before and preoccupied by making sure my parents & best friend weren't gonna call the police and send a search party to look for me. "Levi," I began slowly. He raised his head from looking at his phone and looked at me. I turned my phone so that he could see the picture that changed everything.

"I think we got married."