Chapter 20: "Why is everyone so obsessed with us having babies?"

Liv's band had come in second place but Josh, Levi and I agreed that their band deserved to come in first place. After getting ice cream with her bandmates, the four of us were heading home.

"What are we having for dinner?" Josh asked as we walked into the house. I flopped onto the sofa. Just as I was getting comfy, I felt something warm between my legs. I rushed to the toilet and hoped it wasn't what I thought it was. Maybe they had something in the cabinets. I opened it and found nothing.

"Liv," I yelled. I prayed she was still downstairs.

"Yeah?" came her reply from the other side.

"I've started my period. You don't happen to have any pads on you do you?" I whispered loud enough for her.

"I've not started yet. And Cath buys tampons. Is that okay?"

"No," I replied. I couldn't use them. Periods were nothing to be ashamed about. Levi knew what they were. Everyone learnt about them in school. "Can you ask your brother if he can buy some? And please go with him. I doubt he'd know what to buy." I told her what type I used so she'd know what to look for.

"We'll go. Hang in there, we'll be back soon."

I was stuck in the bathroom for less time than I'd expected. There was a tiny gap between the door and the floor which is what Liv used to slide the pad under. Luckily, I'd run to the toilet before anything could be stained so after cleaning myself up, I left the bathroom. I knew I didn't need to, but I felt embarrassed and avoided Levi and Josh in the living room and headed upstairs.

When Levi realised I wasn't going to come back downstairs, he came to find me. "What are you doing up here?" I was in my pyjamas, in bed and reading my book.

"Hiding," I said without looking up.

"I didn't think you'd admit it," he sat down next to me. "Why are you hiding?"

"I was stuck in the toilet for 20 minutes, on my period and you and Liv had to go buy pads. Josh was also there to witness everything." Levi pulled my book away from me and put my bookmark in, then dropped it on the bed.

"Fallon, I know what a period is and so does Josh. We learnt about it. Josh has a mum who goes through it. I have a little sister who is going to end up going through it at some point in her life. You have no reason to hide."

"Nevertheless, I would like to stay up here." I started reading again.

"Then I'm staying here with you." Levi climbed in next to me. I shoved his arm and said, "You have to go feed your siblings."

"They're not getting any food."

"I love them too much to let them starve." I got up but he stayed where he was.

"What about me?" He smiled.

"Oh my god. The cheese is real with you. You already know I love you," I sighed. "Also, you should think about hanging up the painting you got me for Christmas." It was sitting against the wall.

"You can hang it up wherever you want when we get our own place. It's not going up on my walls."

"I'll change my name."

"Blackmail won't work on me." He got out of his bed. "Now I need to start on dinner or we're all going to starve."

**

"We should make all important decisions through rock-paper-scissors," I suggested to Levi whilst cutting up the vegetables. I couldn't use the appliances but I knew how to use a knife and a cutting board.

Levi stirred the pot and said, "Why?"

"My favourite boy band does it and things usually turn out okay for them. What do I do with this now?" I pointed the knife at the chopped tomatoes.