Chapter 25: "I'm dumb, he's dumb, we got married."

I yawned for the 756th time that day. It was only the first lesson and I'd already given up. I rested my head on the table and closed my eyes, zoning out and thinking about food.

"Hi, I'm-" an unknown, feminine voice said.

"I didn't ask," I didn't let her finish her sentence. It took me about ten seconds to realise what I'd said. I raised my head so quickly I almost broke my neck. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to- I'm sleep deprived. I'm so sorry!"

I'd never seen the girl that was standing in front of me before so I assumed she was a new student. I mean, why else would she be here?

"It's fine. I interrupted your sleep," she said. I moved my bag from the chair next to me so she could sit down.

"And this, kids, is why we go to sleep early and don't sleep in class," the teacher said. People laughed.

He went back to teaching and the girl next to me introduced herself, outstretching her hand. "Hi, I'm Irene." I shook her hand and introduced myself. "If you don't mind me asking, why are you sleep deprived? I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing."

"Mm," I agreed. "My husband made me stay awake all night with him so he could buy some stupid shoes." Irene looked shocked at what I said and I didn't realise why until I processed it. My brain wasn't fully functional this morning. I'd gotten so used to my friends calling him my husband, I'd started using the word too. "Ah, yes. You heard right. Husband. I'm dumb, he's dumb, we got married." She didn't ask any more questions even though I could see she wanted to.

"What lesson do you have next?" I asked. She looked at her timetable before replying that she had Science with Mr. Olsen. "You're in the same class as me."

"That's good. At least I'll know one person there."

"The rest of my friends are in that class too. I'll introduce them to you." After the lesson, we walked together and I told her about the most important things at this school: when lunch started and ended.

All of my friends were already sitting in their seats when we arrived. Irene went to talk to the teacher and I sat down next to Levi who grabbed my hand and wrote his name on the back of my hand.

"Why?" I asked. He shrugged. "Seriously?" Levi winked. I hit him. I took the pen out of his hand and wrote my name on his arm. "We already have each other's names. Why do we need more?"

"I don't know. It's cute." I rolled my eyes at his answer.

"Okay, everyone. We have a new student, Irene. We're going to make her feel welcome and since Fallon is the only person she's met before, you're going to sit together. Please show her the work we've been doing. Levi find another seat." I burst out laughing.

"Yeah, get lost Levi." He took the pen off the table, where I'd put it down, and put me in a head lock. After writing his name on my forehead, he kissed it and then sat down at the empty table behind me. Everyone, with the exception of the teacher, was laughing. Mr. Olsen sighed but didn't say anything. Irene sat down next to me and I showed her what we were doing.

We started to do our work, but I could feel things being thrown at me repeatedly. I turned around and Levi looked away quickly. "What is it?"

"How did you feel that?" he asked.

"Why?"

"I was throwing small pieces of my eraser at you."

"Levi, we have work to do. And I still have your stupid name on my forehead."

"I'm sorry. I love you."

"No. You made me stay awake all night. You could have gone with Jamie. He's your best friend." I turned around to look at how much work I'd done and saw that I'd answered half of the first question. I gave up and turned around again.