Chapter 12: "And also quit flirting with me."

I looked at my reflection one more time and sighed. I couldn't believe I was actually going to go to his house on Christmas. I fixed my hair for the hundredth time and stopped myself from adjusting the dress I'd been forced to wear by my mum. It was red with long sleeves and stopped just above my knees. She'd compromised and let me wear my favourite shoes: black trainers with embroidered roses on the sides. I grabbed my phone and the bag of presents I'd bought a couple of days before and went downstairs to find my mother.

"You look beautiful," she said, when I found her sitting in the living room.

"I want no funny business," dad said.

"His whole family is going to be there, including Josh. How is there going to be any "funny business"?" I asked, making quotation marks with my finger, which was pretty difficult considering one hand had my phone and the other the bag. My dad shrugged and gave me a hug. "Have fun." I nodded, smiling.

"You ready to go?" mum asked, standing up. I nodded again. She grabbed the car keys and walked with me outside. "You really should think about getting your license. You're 18 and you'll be off to university soon," she said as she pulled onto the road.

"I'm scared of driving and I might not be going to university next year. I'm thinking about maybe taking a year off to do some travelling."

She glanced at me from the corner of her eye. "That's the first I've heard of it." I shrugged. The rest of our ride was silent with the exception of the radio playing.

Mum parked outside their house and told me to have fun and call her when I was ready to be picked up. I got out and knocked on their door. Josh opened the door and waved to my mum. She waved back and then drove away.

"Come on in. Everyone's been waiting for you," Josh said, closing the door.

"I'm so nervous."

"Don't be. Literally everyone here knows you. Except for Liv, but she's like 5."

"I'll have you know I am 13 years old," a girl yelled from inside.

"That's literally what I said," he yelled back. Josh grabbed my hand and pulled me to the living room.

"That's not what you said." They started arguing. I put the bag of presents under their Christmas tree and sat down on the sofa, next to Liv.

"Hey," Levi came in, wearing an apron. I raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything.

"Hi. How are you?"

"I'm good. You?"

"Have you two never met before? Why are you so formal?" Liv asked. Levi reached into his apron pocket and threw a foil ball at his sister. She dodged and turned towards me. "Where did you and Levi meet? How long have you known each other? What are your intentions towards my brother?" I was thrown back. I didn't expect to be interviewed. Levi tried to stop his sister but she threw the foil back at him and it hit him in the middle of his forehead. "If you want to live, stay back." Levi threw his hands up in surrender and gave me an apologetic look.

"Erm, Levi and I met when we were kids. You guys lived near us, so we've known each other our whole lives. There are no intentions. We're just friends."

"Married friends," Josh coughed.

"What was that?"

"Nothing. There's something in my throat," he lied. Liv stared at him for what seemed like ages but was probably a few seconds, narrowing her eyes then looked at me again.

"If you lived near us, why don't I remember you?" she asked.

"We moved away when you were still a baby. Now if you're done with questioning her, can I take her to the kitchen. Catherine and dad want to see her," Levi said.