Chapter 8: "He's going to ask her out tonight."

"Happy birthday," everyone yelled as Vanessa and I wheeled out the birthday cake.

Elliot, Josh, Vanessa and I had decided to surprise Kelsey with a three-tiered Halloween themed birthday cake during the party. We'd had the cake delivered to my back door, halfway through the party because a cake this size would never have fit into my fridge. And there was the fact that Kelsey was always in there eating.

Kelsey squealed and hugged all of us. "Oh my god, I love you guys!"

"We love you too," I said. We sang Happy Birthday to her and she blew out the candles, then closed her eyes, making a wish. As the DJ turned the music back on and everyone went back to dancing, Josh wheeled the cake into the kitchen, which was weirdly empty. The four of us followed him. Elliot passed her a knife from the cutlery draw and she cut into it. She cut five slices for the five of us.

"Thank you guys so much for this," she said, looking at all of us.

"Of course. After all a girl only turns 18 once," Elliot joked.

"I might pretend to turn 18 for the next two years if it will get me a massive cake and all the attention." Kelsey said and took a bite of her cake. "I thought you had to go to work," she said to me.

"She took the day off," Vanessa said quickly before adding, "And you already get all the attention. You're a drama student." Vanessa hit her around the head. Pretty quickly the four of them were slapping each other. Elliot had opened the cutlery draw and had taken a plastic spatula which he used to hit Josh with. I pulled the cake away from them, not wanting it to be messed up.

"Are you not going to stop them?" I turned to see who it was. Miles came to stand next to me and took a forkful of cake from my plate. I slapped his hand.

"Why are you eating my cake? You can get your own slice." I took the fork from him. "And to answer your question: no because cake is more important." He laughed and pulled himself onto the kitchen counter opposite me.

"I've missed being here." he looked around the kitchen. "Do you remember that time you sent the smoke alarms off because you burnt the toast?"

I put the empty plate down on the counter and said, "It's not my fault I'm easily distracted, okay? Nice costume, by the way." I changed the subject.

"Subtle," he laughed again. "Thank you. You too, but what are you supposed to be?" Miles was dressed up as Harry Potter.

"A sexy vampire. Isn't it obvious?" After taking one look at the costume Kelsey had picked out for me, I'd thrown it onto the floor of my wardrobe and had made my own costume. Her idea for a costume had been a red and black corset, with a matching mini-skirt and a mini cape. I'd chosen to wear a black top with holes in it and black ripped jeans and had put some fake blood around my mouth. I'd had to choose something that covered my shoulder since nobody except Levi and Kelsey knew about the tattoo and I didn't want people seeing it and asking questions. It was going to be difficult to get dressed in the summer when all I'd want to wear are spaghetti strap and cold shoulder tops.

He looked at my 'costume' again before saying, "Not obvious but at least it looks comfortable."

"Except the heels, but I can get rid of them if I need to."

My friends had finally finished hitting each other and came over to say hello to Miles. "Miles," Kelsey said. "I just want to let you know that if you hurt Fallon in any way, shape or form, I will cut off your balls and feed them to my neighbour's dog. Do you understand?" She crossed her arms and glared at him. Miles hid his laughter quite well and nodded. Kelsey smiled and said, "Fabulous. I'm going to go dance now." She grabbed Vanessa's hand and pulled her towards the living room, where we'd created a makeshift dance floor. Josh and Elliot followed them after grabbing a couple of beers and handing one to Miles.