Chapter 13: "He's not going to fit."

I closed the door and leaned on it. I stared between my cousins and Levi. What were they doing here? Literally everyone else had left.

"Do your parents know there's a boy up here?" Brooklyn, my oldest cousin asked. She was in her early twenties and was in university.

"What do you think?" I placed the painting carefully against my desk and rolled the chair over to Levi so he could sit. "Do not say a word," I said to all of them. "I have secrets that you wouldn't want me to tell your parents. Like the time I covered for you when you were drunk as hell at your mum's 50th birthday party." I pointed at Brooklyn. "Or the time you told me about that guy you dated who was twice your age." I pointed at Millie who was the same age as me. "Or the time I caught you-"

"Okay we get it," Brooklyn interrupted. "So, spill, who is he?"

"No, first you guys. Why are you here?"

"We thought it would be fun to have a sleepover," my 16 year old cousin, Leah, said.

"Maybe I should go." Levi stood up. "I'll come back during the day."

"Unfortunately, you're stuck here," Georgia said. Georgia was Millie's twin. Levi looked at me to see if what she was saying was the truth. I nodded.

"That's why I told you to leave the door open," I explained. "Because the sound of the door closing can be heard from upstairs. And," I looked at the time on my phone and waited a couple seconds to hear the footsteps of my parents come upstairs. "My parents are now upstairs."

One pair of footsteps carried on, and another stopped outside my room. "Hide," I whispered to Levi as we heard a knocking.

"Just a second, I'm changing," Brooklyn said.

"Wardrobe," Georgia whispered.

"He's not going to fit," Millie replied.

"Get underneath the bed and we'll arrange the duvet to make it look normal," Leah said. We stared at her. She pushed Levi, saying, "We don't have time." The way she did it made it look like she had done this before. I knew the rest of the girls were thinking the same thing. Leah was avoiding our eyes.

Brooklyn opened the door. Mum was standing there.

"Isn't it nice of your cousins to want a sleepover?" mum asked, smiling.

"It was definitely a surprise," I said. Millie disguised her laugh as a cough.

Mum looked at her but didn't say anything. "If you want, a couple of you could sleep in the guest room. I'm sure Kelsey wouldn't mind."

"No thank you Aunt Debbie," Leah said. "We all want to stay in the same room like when we were younger." She smiled sweetly.

"That's sweet. Well, I'll see you girls in the morning. Goodnight." She closed the door behind her. Levi rolled out.

"Why would you say that?" I whispered.

"Good thinking," Brooklyn whispered.

"I want you all out now." I started pushing them towards the door.

Leah crossed her arms, "I said I was sleeping in here so that's what I'm going to do."

"So much attitude for a 16 year old," I muttered under my breath. I grabbed my pyjamas and went to the bathroom to change. After brushing my teeth I returned to find Levi being interrogated by my cousins. It was an amusing sight. They asked him pretty much the same questions that Liv had asked me. He answered them the same way but said we were dating instead of friends.

I rifled through my wardrobe and found an old t-shirt and a pair of pyjama trousers I'd stolen from Lucas a few months ago. They were his favourites and he was annoying me by taking my favourite clothes because he wanted to "try them on".

I threw them to Levi and told him where the bathroom and spare toothbrush was. Once he was back he told me that he'd messaged Josh saying he was here but to tell his parents that he was at Jamie's.

I looked at my cousins, who were eating my food, sitting on my bed and gossiping. "Are you all really sleeping in here?"

Leah nodded. "We have to make sure you're not going to do anything sinful."

"Like what?" I asked.

"Sex before marriage is sinful. I think."

Levi stifled his laughter.

"Hold on, you knew a bit too much about hiding a boy," Brooklyn defended me.

"There's a guy. My parents don't know about him," she stated the obvious.

"Tell us everything," Millie said and we listened as Leah told us about this boy she was secretly seeing. She knew her parents wouldn't approve of him so she hadn't told them. We talked more about everything, catching up with each other's lives. They included Levi as if he was part of the family, which felt nice, because even though they could be too much at times, my cousins and I were close. They were like another set of best friends.

"I'm off to bed now," Georgia yawned. I looked at the time on my phone and saw that it was almost 5 am. She got up off the floor and made a move to climb into my bed. I stopped her with my foot.

"You lot are sleeping on the floor," I said. "Or you can sleep in Kelsey's room because we don't really have an air mattress for any of you." I hoped that this would make them get out of my room but Brooklyn understood what I was trying to do.

"It's good. We'll sleep here. One of you help me," she said to the girls. Millie followed her. They came back a few minutes later, carrying the mattress from Kelsey's room between them. Millie went back to the room and brought the duvets and pillows. "We'll be fine now." I would have wrestled Brooklyn to the ground if Levi hadn't held me back. I grabbed my slipper and threw it at her.

"You guys need to be quiet unless you want your parents to walk in," Leah looked at me.

"Fine."

"And Levi is sleeping on the floor with us," Brooklyn added.

"Whatever," I said and flopped onto my bed. Levi looked at me as if saying, 'Help me.' I gave him an apologetic look. I knew that my cousins would fall asleep quickly when they were tired, so I hoped that he could stay awake for another ten or so minutes. When I heard the soft snores of the girls, I whispered, "Levi, you awake?"

"Yup," came his answer.

"There's space in my bed." He sat up and looked at me. Leah, Millie and Georgia had all managed to fit onto the mattress but Brooklyn and Levi had to sleep on the carpeted floor. I knew for a fact that my floor wasn't the most comfortable to sleep on, even with several blankets underneath you but Brooklyn could suffer.

"Are you sure?" he whispered.

"I wouldn't say it if I wasn't sure," I rolled my eyes. He climbed into the other side and I turned around to face him. "I know this contradicts what I just said, but does it feel like we're moving too fast?"

"Not really. We got married after not talking to each other in years. How much faster can this go?"

"You asked me out earlier today and now we're sleeping in the same bed?"

"Technically, I asked you out yesterday," he said and put an arm around my waist and pulled me closer. "Is this fine?" I nodded, smiling. We spent some time talking and asking each other random questions like, 'What's your favourite colour?' and 'If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?' My answer was actually not cookie dough. Yes I loved it, but I don't think I'd be able to eat for the rest of my life. I couldn't answer but Levi answered with chicken chow mein. We'd ended up talking for hours that by the time we were tired, it was almost 8 am.

"Goodnight," Levi said and kissed my forehead. I smiled and replied, "Night."