Chapter 16: "Levi, put it away."

It had taken me three tries to finally get it right. To say sorry for having to listen to me cry, I was making breakfast. I'd woken up earlier than everyone and had gone to the supermarket to buy ingredients for pancakes. Luckily, I'd bought a lot because I'd used up everything. Even though I was following instructions, my first two attempts had failed. The third time, they'd come out perfect.

I'd just finished cleaning up the kitchen, when everyone walked in. I could see that they were all worried about me. Nobody asked me any questions about last night, even though my eyes were red from crying whilst trying to cook. My mum had always been the one to cook and she always laughed every time I stepped within a metre of the stove or the oven. I hadn't truly appreciated her when I lived with her and now I missed her more than anything.

"To say I'm sorry. I'm pretty sure you all heard me crying yesterday and for that I am very sorry. And I'm also sorry that you guys are stuck with me for some time. I swear I'll be out of your hair when my friends get back from their holidays," I said, handing everyone plates of pancakes.

Catherine gave me a one armed hug as she was holding a plate in her other hand. "That's nonsense. You're welcome to stay with us as long as you like. Right Rob?"

"Yes. You are now a daughter to us and you're going to be treated like one. This house is now also your home," he said, smiling.

"Thank you. Really," I smiled at the both of them. Josh broke the tension in the room by asking if the pancakes were actually edible. "Yes. I followed a recipe."

"Look, Fallon, I love you and I'm so happy you're my sister now, but you suck at making toast. How are you making pancakes from scratch?" He poked his food with a fork.

"This is amazing," Liv said through a mouthful. Levi pushed her chin up, closing her mouth. He came around next to me, which his family took as a cue to leave the kitchen. Levi faced me and put his hands on my hips.

"How are you this morning?" He had a worried expression.

"I'm fine," I lied, smiling. He took my left hand and slid my wedding ring onto my ring finger. I saw that he was wearing his as well.

"We're married, we're dating, we live together now, weird order, I know, so you don't have to lie about your feelings."

"When did you take my ring?" I asked instead.

"Yesterday when you weren't looking. I brought the certificate too. And stop changing the subject."

"I'm not fine but I will be. Just let it go for now," I sighed. He nodded. We finished eating our breakfasts with the rest of his family, who'd retreated to the living room. Liv helped me clean up, then gave me a tour of the house. Downstairs were the kitchen, living room, one of the bathrooms and a room that was going to turn into Josh's bedroom. It was currently a store room. Upstairs was another bathroom, her parents' room, her room, which was very pink, and finally, the room I'd slept in, Levi's room. 

Liv explained that since the room downstairs was still being renovated, Josh was sharing with her brother. Josh was currently sleeping on an air mattress that had been moved to her room for the night as I'd fallen asleep in Levi's room and he didn't want to be the third wheel. We went back downstairs, where I told Josh that he could sleep in Levi's room again and I would sleep in Liv's.

"Don't husbands and wives usually sleep in the same bed?"

"Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip don't," Liv said. Josh ignored her and said, "It's fine. You'd have to sleep on the floor in her room."

"I don't mind. I've already disturbed your lives enough as it is."

"I know Liv's told you this already, but this whole house loves you, including me. As a friend and a sister," he added as he saw Levi look at him. "The downstairs room'll be done soon so just sleep there for now." I asked if he was a 100% sure.

"I'd rather share a room with you than with him," Levi interrupted. Josh threw a cushion at him which he neatly dodged. 

"Don't get any ideas though," I said, narrowing my eyes.

"I won't, I promise."

Mr. Turner ran into the living room from the kitchen and said, "There will not be any baby-making under my roof!"

"What about practising?" Levi asked. I threw another cushion which he, again, dodged.

"Not under my roof," he said and went back to the kitchen. I'd been kneeling on the floor next to Josh the whole time, and got up to sit next to Levi. He put his arm around me and I cuddled up next to him.

"You two are a weirdly good looking couple," Liv said after staring at us for a few seconds.

"Thanks, I think," Levi said, making me laugh.

"Nope. Fallon is definitely more good looking," Josh argued. Levi stuck up his middle finger. "Rob," Josh yelled. "Levi's showing me the finger."

"Levi, put it away," his dad yelled. Levi jumped up and ran after Josh, who started dodging him by running around the house. Liv sat down next to me and we laughed as we watched Levi chase Josh. It felt like things could look up for me here.

**

Liv had fallen asleep with her head on my shoulder and Josh was asleep on the floor. We'd put on a film that made sense to nobody, except Catherine and Levi's dad, to pass the time as we waited for my dad to show up. As it neared 8 pm, I whispered to Levi, "He's not coming."

"You don't know that. There's still time."

"Nope. I know my mum and she's not going to go back on her word for a long time." I let out a deep breath. "It's fine. It's fine. So many people get kicked out of their houses and I at least have somewhere I can live for the time being."

"We can move out." He said that like it was nothing. I moved as much as was possible without waking Liv up to see if he was joking. "What? My dad told me that my mum's side of the family is crazy rich and she'd used her inheritance to buy Liv and I both houses before she passed away. I found out on my 18th birthday and that's when Liv's going to find out about hers as well." My mouth was open in shock. "It's not a big house. Dad took me to it. It's not too far from here, so we can always come back. There's two bedrooms, a kitchen, living room and bathroom."

"You're crazy. You can move in there if you want, but I'm staying here with your family." Levi pulled me closer and said, "Fine. We'll stay here, but remember, that's always an option."