Chapter 7: "But maybe buy a carrot or something as well."

"My 18th birthday and Halloween are only a week away!" Kelsey squealed.

"Great," I sighed and carried on eating my sandwich.

"You could look a little happier. That means the party is only a week away. It'll be over soon and then you have the next 365 days to prepare yourself for a university Halloween party."

"What if I said I won't be going to any university parties?" I asked.

"Then I'd say you're a liar. You said no to the party next week, and I persuaded you to come for an hour. You're not going to be able to escape parties as long as you're friends with me."

"Then, I need a new best friend."

"Face, it no one will ever be as amazing as me." She took a fry off her plate and threw it at me. It landed in my lap so I picked it up and ate it.

"Thanks," I said, grinning. I saw Vanessa walking up to the table and ran to her. Hugging her I said, "Congrats, you've upgraded to my first best friend!"

"Aw, that's cute. You think I want that title," she said, pinching my cheeks as if I was a baby. "No, thanks. I'm fine with Alex." Alex was Vanessa's best friend from her old high school. We'd met a couple of times when she'd come to visit.

"Wow, okay. Guess it's time for try outs," I shrugged and sat down at the table again to eat. However, my sandwich was missing. I looked at Kelsey with narrowed eyes. "Where is my sandwich?"

"I don't know," she said. She looked innocent but this was Kelsey we were talking about. If anything of mine ever went missing, it was usually her fault. I changed the subject. "Where are the boys?"

"Lunchtime detention," Vanessa replied and she started to explain how they'd gotten into a debate over which ice cream flavour was better (cookie dough or cookies and cream) and somehow their whole English class had taken part and wouldn't stop. Personally, I would have picked the cookie dough side but I was biased since I loved cookie dough. You could probably get me to do anything if you bribed me with the stuff. Okay, maybe not anything.

I doodled on the table as they ate. I was too tired to focus on what they were talking about and I must have fallen asleep as I was drawing on the table because the next thing I knew, I was being shaken by Vanessa.

"Wake up, we still have one more lesson," she said, gently.

"Get someone to carry me," I said.

"Fine. Miles," she yelled his name. I kept my eyes closed, waiting to see if he or anybody else would actually come to pick me up. After a few minutes of nothing happening, I opened one eye to find the cafeteria empty. I opened both eyes and looked at her, narrowing them.

"There is nobody, except me and you here."

"I just wanted you to wake up," she replied.

"Where is Kelsey?" I asked. She told me that Kelsey had volunteered to support the teachers with the end of year play that the Drama department were putting on because she wanted to be a part of it, even though she wouldn't be acting in it. We walked to our last lesson of the day, Maths. I walked in to the room as Vanessa walked to her class. She'd also told me that Kelsey would be missing this lesson, so I would have to struggle by myself. Maths sucks.

Class was soon over and before I knew it I was making my way to the supermarket.

**********

I pushed my homework away from me and pulled my laptop out from its place underneath my bed. I looked at the work of my favourite Instagram artists, wishing that I had the skills they did. Practise makes perfect, so after finding motivation, I found my sketchbook and started drawing.