Chapter 3: "Who's that cutie?"

"Guess who's a free woman?" I asked, walking over to the table my friends were sitting at.

"Yay!" Kelsey exclaimed. "Now we can start planning the Halloween party."

"Halloween is almost a month and a half away. You have time," Josh said.

"I hate to say it, but I agree with the boy," I shrugged. "And I won't be going. I've just got a job." Four pairs of eyes turned to look at me.

"You have a job," Elliot said. They looked at each other before they burst into laughter. So I wasn't the most active person, but you know, when I need to do something, I'll do it. Sometimes.

"Why?" Vanessa asked.

"I need the money," I replied.

"Why don't you just ask your parents? You've done it before," Elliot said.

"I can't do it this time. Now change the subject."

"Where?" Kelsey asked.

"Where what?" I replied.

"Where are you working?"

"The supermarket. And I'm working on Halloween." Both jobs that I'd applied for had given me an interview and offered me a job. I'd chosen the supermarket because it was walking distance from my house.

"What are you guys going to be this year?" Kelsey asked the rest of them. I listened to the rest of them decide on their costumes.

The bell rang signalling the end of lunch. I sighed, remembering what lesson I had: English. "Good luck," Kelsey whispered before heading towards her class. I walked into the class and saw that Miles had decided to sit next to where I'd been sitting last week. I'd thought he'd forgotten about what he'd said since he'd left me alone for the rest of the week but I guess I'd been wrong.

I changed the direction I was walking in and sat on the opposite side of the room, near the windows. The downside to this was that I was sitting closer to Levi. Miles' smile slowly disappeared as he saw where I sat down. He stood up but at the same time the teacher walked in.

"Please take your seat Mr. Parker," Mr. Taylor said to Miles. The teacher sat down at his desk and looked down at his planner. "Okay, I'm going to put you all into groups and in these groups you are going to be acting out some scenes. This won't count as part of your grades but it will help you get a better understanding of the play." He stood up and walked into the middle of the room, looking at all the students. "Emily, Zara and Maya, you guys have Act 1, Scene 1: the three Witches." He called out a few more names and gave them different scenes from throughout the play. "Let's see who we have left. Alright, Fallon," Please not Miles, please not Miles, I thought. "Levi and Miles. You three have Act 1, Scene 5."

Miles got up and moved to mine and Levi's side of the room. He sat down, a big smile on his face. "I'm going to say it now before we start, please leave your personal problems out of this group," Levi said, looking at Miles and I pointedly. We nodded, not knowing what to say.

"I'm going to assume that I'm Lady Macbeth," I said.

"I'll leave the choice up to you," Levi replied.

I shrugged, "Okay."

"I'll be Macbeth," Miles said.

"Whatever," Levi said. "Let's just get this over with."

"'They met me in the day of success; and I have learn'd by the perfect'st report, they have more in them than mortal knowledge. When I burnt in desire to question them further, they made themselves air, into which they vanish'd.'" I read from the book, pretending that it was a letter. I finished the soliloquy and Levi read his lines as Macbeth's messenger. After another soliloquy, Miles read his lines as Macbeth. I grimaced as he read the line "'My dearest love,'". When we were done with the reading, we went over it a couple more times, getting the feel of the words.