Chapter 1: "We are so married."

Quick A/N: I don't know how courthouse weddings/divorces/annulments work. I'm 17 years old and haven't been married. Everything I've written has been researched from Google. Sorry for any mistakes!

**********

It had been a week since that life changing day in the hotel room. I'd shown Levi the picture on my lock screen - it was of the both of us holding up our left hands, showing off matching silver wedding rings. He had laughed and taken it as a joke and then ran his left hand through his hair, making it more messy. But something shiny on his hand had reflected the light. A wedding ring. A wedding ring that matched the picture. I looked down at my ring finger and saw the same ring sitting there.

"You might want to look at your hand,"

He'd looked down, then looked at me and shook his head and said, "No, this must be a joke. It was probably a pretend wedding."

"Maybe," I agreed but there was a feeling in the pit of my stomach that told me the marriage was real. I unlocked my phone and went through the camera roll.

The pictures showed that the rings were a part of a real wedding in a real courthouse. There was a photo of us in front of the officiant. There was a photo of us exchanging the rings that were currently on our hands. There was a photo of us kissing. And there was a photo of us holding a marriage certificate between us.

I showed the pictures to Levi who swiped silently. He handed my phone back to me and took his own phone out of the pocket of his jeans. After about a minute, he passed me his phone where there was a collection of similar pictures. The only difference was that he had a few more photos. Pictures of us 'celebrating'. There were pictures of us at a bar and a video, I assumed that I had recorded, of a drunk Levi standing on top of the bar telling everyone that he was newly wed. I passed his phone back without saying anything.

Realising that we were both just standing silently and awkwardly, I moved to sit down on the armchair. I went through the messages on my phone to see if I had told anybody and I had. I'd told Kelsey, whose reply had been Why didn't you invite me?

"We might have a little bit of a problem. I messaged my best friend, Jamie," Levi said.

"It's fine, I told Kelsey." Levi looked relieved that he wasn't the only one not able to keep a secret and nodded.

From the corner of my eye, I could see a piece of paper sitting on top of the chest drawers. I reached over and grabbed it to get a closer look. It was the marriage certificate. I groaned and waved it at Levi.

"We are so married."

**********

"So what are you going to do now?" Kelsey's voice brought me out my daze.

"There's nothing to do. Except pretend that the whole marriage thing was a dream." Levi and I had tried to get a divorce but the fee was too much for both of us. It wasn't like we could ask our parents for the money because then we would have to explain why we needed it. And we tried to apply for an annulment but we didn't have a valid reason since both of us are 18 and neither of us had been under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

You read that right. We were both sober when we got married. Somehow we both drank too much after the courthouse to remember anything. To me, that made some sense since I never drank at high school parties. I didn't really have a reason for it, I just have never drank at a high school party and didn't really want to.

"Are you going to tell Miles?" She looked at me from the corner of her eye before looking back at the road. 

Miles was my ex-boyfriend. We'd been dating for about six months when out of nowhere he decided he needed a break from us. He'd thought that we were moving too fast, which was a bit weird considering the week before he broke up with me, he was the one talking about choosing a university close to where I wanted to go so that he could be with me. However, I think I know why he ended it even though he disagreed that that was the reason. I'd told him I loved him.  

Shaking my head, I replied, "No, of course not. It doesn't matter whether I tell him or not. We're not together anymore." I finished quietly.

"He'll come back to his senses, don't worry."

"I don't think I want him to." I looked at her. "I just think this break up has been good for me. It's like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I don't have to think about him or his feelings, just about me and my feelings." She smiled and nodded in understanding. "Now do you have any clue as to why I would get married to a guy I've barely spoken five words to?"

"Truth or Dare." Those three words explained more than any sentence ever would. I could never back down from a good dare no matter how ridiculous it was. That's how I had ended up in a lot of weird situations. I nodded as she pulled into the school parking lot. There were clusters of teenagers all hugging each other, seeing their friends after the summer. If someone had told me three years ago that on my first day as a senior, I would have a husband, I would have laughed and shown them towards the nearest exit.

Kelsey parked the car and we both got out, throwing our bags over our shoulders. She put an arm around my shoulder and we both walked towards the school entrance. She squeezed my shoulder intentionally and I flinched. "How's the new tat, by the way?" Her eyes twinkled with laughter.

Levi and I had both gotten so drunk that we'd thought it was a good idea to get tattoos to commemorate the day. I had a tattoo that read 'LEVI TURNER'S WIFE'. Levi had a tattoo that read 'FALLON JONES' HUSBAND' on the right hand side of his rib cage. Because he didn't have my number, he'd DM'ed me a picture of his side, with a one word message: 'Thanks'. I'd sent him back a picture of my shoulder. I'd found the tattoo after trying to figure out what had been causing me pain and texted Kelsey straight away. Imagine my surprise when I found a permanent reminder of what I'd done.

Kelsey and I walked up the steps to the school and walked into our form room. Half the class had not yet appeared so we chose the best seats in the room - the ones in the back corner where the teacher would struggle to see us properly from the front. I took the chair closest to the wall and dropped my bag on the floor. Resting my head on top of my arms, I waited for the tutor to walk in.

"Are you going to talk to him now?" Kelsey asked.

I turned my head to the side but didn't lift it. "Who?"

"Levi."

"Nah. I haven't talked to him before, it's not going to be any different."

"What if he talks to you?"

"And why would he do that?"

"He's your husband."

I rolled my eyes. "You say that like it makes a difference. He's only my husband on paper."

"Legal paper," she argued. I stared at her and she shrugged her shoulders. "There's a difference." At that moment the tutor, Mrs. Walker, walked in.

"Morning everyone," she said. "Hope you've had a nice summer. Now I'm going to hand out the new timetables for the year and then do the register." She walked around the room, handing sheets to everyone around the room. As soon as we were handed our timetables, we compared them, and noticed that we were in every class together except English.

"That's too bad, or I could've copied your answers." Kelsey sighed dramatically. "I guess I'll just have to fail now."

I laughed. "I'm pretty sure there's somebody else you could copy."

"No. Nobody writes English answers like you."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome." After the register was done and everyone was marked present or absent, the bell rang, signalling the end of form time. I grabbed my bag and walked out of the class, Kelsey behind me. We walked down the corridor to the English department. I found my class and told Kelsey I'd meet her out here afterwards. Wishing each other good luck for our first English class of the year, I walked in.

There were two things that registered in my brain as I looked at the students already here.

1. Miles is in my class.

2. Levi is also in my class.