Chapter Eleven

it is a bit lengthy, but I didn't know how to break it up and sorry if it goes from one thing to the next.

-------------

Saturday evening, Erika had seriously considered telling the other's to go to the Merrick's without her, but she knew they wouldn't let her away with it. Upon arriving Erika felt a little better and a little less nervous when she was rejoined with Codi, who had arrived with Rian and when Jack announced that neither of Zack's vehicles was in the yard. The chilly fall air was crisp, but not too bad if you had the right clothing you could easily enjoy a few hours outside as the sun started to sink.

Clinging to Jack, who had become her comfort in the last few days, since Alex had started avoiding her, Erika laughed when he got excited realizing that he could finally help her put faces to names.

"You'll get to meet my parents and like half of the people who work with us!" Jack announced excitedly grabbing Erika's hand and dragging her up the front step.

Following him into the house, Erika was slightly taken back by the amount of people. When she had been told it was dinner, she hadn't been expecting a practically packed house. This was more like a party than a dinner; still she was going to go about it with her brave face on. If anything went wrong, she had Codi to help her through it. Once Jack had properly introduced Erika and Codi to everybody he knew, he left them to their own devices for a bit.

They had each other and Rian seemed to be close by, they'd be fine. Besides, it wasn't like Mrs. Merrick was going to let anything happen to either of them. Codi and Rian were giggling with one another, hands laced when Erika spotted a lady who Jack hadn't introduced her to walking toward them. Seeing the woman, Rian smiled innocently and let Codi's hand go but not without being noticed.

"Oh, I didn't know Rian had a girlfriend. Of course he tells me nothing." The friendly blond commented, shaking Codi and Erika's hand.

"Nice to meet you..."

"Kathi, Rian's mom." She quickly cut Erika off with a smile. "How long have you had a girlfriend, sweetheart?" Kathi asked turning to her son, who looked like a deer in the headlights.

"I'm not his girlfriend." Codi saved Rian with a wink. "We're friends, I'm here with Erika. She's my roommate and Rian and I have just been hanging out while she sorts things out." She explained.

Telling his mom that they'd occasionally had sex really wasn't needed as far as Codi was concerned.

"Rian, sweetheart, stop being an idiot and ask her out already." Kathi said nudging her son in the side. "She's too cute and you don't want to lose this one. It was very nice to meet you girls."

"You too." Erika smiled.

"Rian, sweetheart." Codi smiled sweetly at him, causing Rian to roll his eyes and laugh. "Could you get me a drink?"

"Anything, for my girlfriend." Rian laughed, stressing the word girlfriend.

Codi and Rian soon left Erika by herself, not entirely; Zack's sister did come by and introduce herself. Gushing over the fact she was so excited and couldn't wait to take Erika baby shopping. Erika couldn't lie; she was a little freaked out by Sam's approach. Never the less, happy to have someone who actually wanted this to happen, still at conflict with what she herself wanted. It was now a matter of self convincing that if enough people got excited, Erika would too. Unlikely.

Left entirely on her own now, Erika stood off to the side debating whether or not to ask Jack if he could take her back to Alex's house. She had always hated crowds of any size. She was distracted from her plan of action when a blond about her height sauntered toward her. So far anybody Erika had met she liked, figures she'd have made that decision too soon.