Chapter Twenty

.....so, because I like a good WTF?! moment, here we go!

------------

As soon as she spotted Alex's car in Rian's drive way, Codi knew she was in for it. "It" being a full rundown interrogation of whether or not Erika was really going to leave Baltimore and when, Alex was relentless that way. Codi had talked him out of a party or anything of the sorts, because it would only make the situation worse.

"Where's Rian?" was the first thing out of Codi's mouth, she had borrowed his car, Alex was here which must meant Rian was somewhere to help her out.

"He went out with his brother." Alex explained with a shrug, sitting down at the table, gesturing for Codi to do the same.

A text to prepare her for this would have been nice. Codi made a small mental note to thank Rian for being so helpful later.

"What are we doing?" Codi asked sitting down at the table across from Alex.

"We, you and I, are having coffee." Alex explained gently nudging a cup toward Codi and smiling innocently.

"Clearly, but aside from that what's going on Gaskarth?" Codi asked taking a sip of her coffee and sitting the cup down.

"Can you just get pregnant or something and demand Erika stays so you can raise your children together?" Alex smiled sheepishly.

"No!" Codi stated in a firm manner, huffing about what a moron Alex was.

Alex shrugged, it was worth a shot.

Picking at her bright purple nail polish, Codi glanced back up at Alex. "If you must know, I bought you until Christmas. Erika is willing to stay until then. So, if you have anything to tell her do it before then."

"You know how much I like her." Alex groaned, pushing his hands over his beanie covered hair and groaning.

"I know that, everybody knows that, the problem is Erika doesn't know that. It's not me that you need to tell this to, it's her." Codi replied giving him a sympathetic look.

"Did you and Tay rehearse this?" Alex eyed Codi.

"No." Codi laughed. "It is just common sense, but be careful. Erika's not as strong as she comes off."

"Don't I know it?" Alex nodded.

Tracing a random pattern along the shiny table top, Codi watched Alex; the poor guy was really torn up about this. Codi could give him everything he would need and then some to secure Erika and keep her for himself, but right now a relationship was probably the last thing Erika needed. On the other hand maybe somebody who cared and wanted to be there for her was exactly what Erika needed.

"You realize no matter what you tell her, she's going to take it as pity." Codi spoke up. Alex raised his head from whatever he was doing with his phone to show he was listening. "Erika thinks that everything anybody is doing for her right now is pity because of Zack."

"So what do I do to break that?" Alex asked. Codi grinned, he caught on quick.

"Don't push her, slowly, let her know how you feel and then once the ball is in her court let her take it. If she takes it, then you're good. If she refuses then leave it as friends." Codi replied with a bit of a sigh.

Why was she telling Alex this?

If Alex made a move and Erika accepted then all would be well and good, right?

If Alex made a move and Erika didn't accept then things became more awkward.

Either way, Alex could say he tried. If things worked perfect! If they didn't, it was for the two of them to figure out on their own. Codi just didn't want to get Alex's hopes up to have them crashing down and she certainly didn't want Alex being with Erika for the wrong reasons. She also didn't want Alex to invest his emotions into Erika only to get rejected.

What if Alex told Erika how he felt and she accepted and then in a year from now, Alex decided that a single mother to his best friend's baby wasn't going to work? It would only cause a world of hurt. There was also a small matter of Zack Merrick. Codi didn't really care what Zack's opinion was, but for the sake of Alex, Erika and anybody else involved she'd weigh it out. Rian and Jack would never say anything against it, if they knew people were truly happy.

Zack had flat out denied wanting anything to do with the baby, if Erika was with Alex then it forced Zack, Erika and the baby into each other's lives. Alex could be as happy as he wanted with Erika and Codi strongly believed that if given the chance, Alex would love the baby like it was his own. The problem was if it created a tension with Zack, neither one of them could just walk away. Zack and Alex needed the band and as long as they needed the band, they needed each other.

If it had been anybody else who had got Erika pregnant or if it were anybody else wanting to be with her, Codi would have found a way to set them up by now. There were just so many reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea. On the other hand, there were so many reasons why it was a good idea.

Alex clearly cared for Erika, a lot. Erika was comfortable with Alex, but it didn't mean she'd feel the same way he did.

"My head hurts." Codi grumbled, rubbing her temples.

"Huh?" Alex looked back at her from his phone. She had zoned out, so he had went back to playing his game.

"Sorry, just had a long day is all." Codi replied with a small smile.

Nodding in understanding, Alex finished off the cup of coffee that he had poured himself and stood up to put the cup in the dishwasher so Rian wouldn't bitch at him later. It was probably just an excuse to make Alex leave; then again Codi did have a rather busy morning with Erika. Saying goodbye and thanking her for the chat, Alex left his friend's girlfriend sitting at the table with her head resting in her hands. He could always text Rian and tell him to make sure he gets home soon to look after Codi, but Alex left well enough alone and got into his car instead.

Alex knew what he had to do, how to do it was the problem, if Alex could just come out and tell Erika how he felt then maybe things would be better? Everybody but Erika knew Alex liked her. If it wouldn't risk him sounding completely crazy, Alex would maybe even say he was in love. Driving into his own drive way, Alex slammed the car into park and jumped out. He hadn't had much time to think this through, so he was going based on what his gut told him.

Getting things out in the open would only help or hinder the situation, things just started to get a little less awkward between Alex and Erika and here Alex went again. He had every intention to just tell the girl how he felt, Codi told him to tell her. Slipping in the front door, giving both dogs a quick pat Alex set out to find Erika.

"Erika?" he called out, his anxiety was through the roof. Why did he do this to himself?

"Hey!"Erika greeted him walking out from the living room. "Jack and Vic.." Erika squeaked when Alex grabbed her, pulling her in and kissing her.

"Sorry, I am so sorry Erika. I promised I wouldn't do that and here I am doing it again. Go ahead, slap me call me an asshole I deserve it." Alex rambled; his hands were slightly shaking as he balled them into a fist.

"Alex." Erika started.

"No, don't tell me it's okay because I know you get upset when I do that." Alex continued, trying to sort himself out. "Just so you know I'm in love with you."

Alex's eyes went wide for a second; he hadn't been expecting Erika to kiss him back. Giving in, he relaxed, closing his eyes and letting his fingers get tangled in her dark hair. Softly biting his bottom lip, Erika tightened her grip on the front of Alex's jacket, pushing her body closer to his as the kiss deepened. Placing his hands on her hips, Alex smiled into the kiss hearing a quiet moan coming from the girl he was with. He giggled when Erika giggled, a result of his beard.

Normally she pulled away and acted as if he was trying to murder her. They really shouldn't be doing this. Alex had walked in and saw her there and it was like he had lost all control of his ability to think. Erika wasn't sure why Alex had started this, but she was somewhat happy and a bit confused that he had. Logical thoughts and possibly regret could come later.