Chapter 1

My life was one that can be classified as boring as hell. Every single day was the same old routine for me. I would wake up, get ready, leave for the hospital, work super late shifts, return home in the late hours of the night and begin the process all over again the next day.

Nothing remotely interesting or exciting ever really happens to me- unless I count the times I got a flat tire when I had absolutely no spare or just simply attending to my patients daily.

Each day was making me more aware of just how pathetic my life had become. The majority of my life was devoted to my career. My nonexistent social life was related and devoted to my career. All relationships that I almost had, my job always got in the way and send them to an untimely end. No one wanted to date a woman who hardly has time for herself and spent most of her time at the hospital for an extended period.

It didn't matter that I'm usually busy saving lives, eventually after being with a guy for some time- working late hours and not having sufficient time to 'cuddle' with him, take off on different vacations or attend casual outings, the relationship usually comes to an inevitable end. Three times my relationships failed because they would usually cut ties, walk out, or better yet, I'd walked into my house after a late-night shift only to find my fiancé in our bed with some random woman at 1 a.m.

Yeah, the story of my life.

I have spent almost twenty-one years of my life attending school, gaining all the levels of educational qualifications that there was and then swamping myself in work immediately after.

I was always an overambitious student while growing up. I was always top of my class, I even graduated high school a year early with a full-ride scholarship to Med school.
All those years spent at medical school, and all the lectures and teaching I've acquired in order to become the prestigious surgeon I was today, they never once thought us how to have a social life.

My life was slowly passing just like that. All I had in my years to show was my educational and career achievements.
In reality, I was still considered young in the eyes of society. Twenty-seven years old wasn't all that old right? And to accomplish as much as I did that young was considered a great achievement. Well sure I was extremely proud of my accomplishments but I was nearing thirty, and the thought that I had less than four years before I clock the big 3 and 0, had me feeling a bit anxious.

Most people that I know have already started their lives from as early as 18 years old. My younger sister Lorana had gotten married at 21years old, and now has a wonderful husband and an awesome three-year-old daughter. At 24 years old, she was a successful marriage counselor, who already established a social and family life for her own. I, on the other hand, was a 27 years old, single, workaholic with no potential love interest and is most likely to become one of those lonely cat ladies in the future.

However, I may not even become one of those cat ladies if I'm lucky enough to have my family around for a long long time. Other than my job, family was equally important to me. I love my family, I absolutely do. I love my mom, my dad, my sister, and my sweet little niece, but sometimes they give me hell, especially my mom.

My mom was quite an amazing woman, and even though she was extremely proud of me for being successful and following dad's footsteps in becoming a doctor, mom never failed to let me know just how much she's worried about my future and the future of her yet to come grandkids. Mom believes that the second I turn 30, my biological clock is going to stop ticking and she won't be able to get the whole litter of grandkids that she always wanted.

Even though I was still considered young, mom was sort of one who caused me to be anxious every time I think of the big 30. If I didn't love her so much and know that she meant well, I probably would have run away and stopped taking her phone calls. For a woman who is supposedly 'close to having her biological clock stop ticking', she sure does treat me like a little girl sometimes. And it was moments like this that I would find her totally amazing yet so annoying at the same time.