Chapter 8

Unedited

There are certain things and situations that a child should never have to experience or go through in their lifetime. Mainly because children's minds are often not fully developed or mature enough to handle certain situations. Some of these situations often traumatize and scar a child for life.
Being around Nicolo for the past couple of weeks, made me realize this more than ever. Having gone through the ordeal that he had, has left the poor boy really traumatized.

Whenever his father wasn't around, he was fearful of being left alone. His concerns were whether or not the police
caught the bad guys who attacked and shot them. He was fearful that they were going to come back and shoot him again.
Talk about such a huge burden for an eight-year-old to carry. I was finished with my shift for the night but decided to stick around with him until Mr. Romano showed up. It wasn't usually hospital policy to let the family member of its patients stay over, but in a case such as this, an exception was made.

"Did you always want to be a doctor?" Nicolo asked as I was hanging out with him.

"For the most part, yes I did," I answered with a smile.

"But why?" Nicolo asked me.

"Well, I've always wanted to help those who are sick or met in accidents and received injuries from I was about 12 years old," I said to him. "You see my sister and I had a dog when we were little, his name was Dex. He got hit by a car one day, and while he was there dying, I really wished that I could help him somehow, but I couldn't."

"So he died," Nicolo stated.

"Yeah, unfortunately." I nodded. "I wanted to become a doctor who is able to help others by repairing body parts and such ever since."

"That is really cool, what you do." Nicolo smiled at me.

"Really? You think so?" I couldn't help smiling back at him.

"Yes, you are sort of like a superhero." He said to me.

"I am, aren't I?" I chuckled.

"Definitely. You save people's lives, that's what superheroes do. So you are a hero Dr. Sewell." Nicolo praised with adoration. " And you saved my life, so that makes you my hero."

I was completely speechless after hearing Nicolo say that to me. I've always received many thanks and appreciation from patients as well as family members on behalf of my good work, but hearing such praise and adoration from a young child, was
an exhilarating feeling.

"I'm glad I could be your hero." I smiled at Nicolo.

"Are you leaving now?" Nicolo asked me. "Could you stay a little while longer until my dad gets here? Please?"

"I wasn't leaving yet," I said to him.

"Thank you. I don't want to be alone." He said to me.

"No problem. I'm happy to keep you company until your father gets here." I said to him. "So, what do you enjoy doing Nicolo?"

"You mean like my hobbies?"

"Yeah, what are some of your hobbies?"

"I have a lot of hobbies." Nicolo smiled. " But I really like playing online video games, riding my bike, and oh... playing soccer with my friends on the team."

"Oh, you're on a soccer team?"

"Yes, at my school. We have junior football games every season." Nicolo said to me.

"Wow, that's awesome. So you're a talented player huh?" I said smiling at him.

"Yeah, I am one of the best on my team, but I may never be able to play again." Nicolo looked down suddenly with a sad expression.

"Why not?" I asked with concern.

"Because I got shot and then I also have broken ribs." He answered without looking up at me.
"I'm not going to be able to play again because of that."

"Of course you will. That isn't going to stop you from being able to play again." I said reassuringly. "The shot didn't do any extreme or long-term damages. Your wound is going to heal soon, and so will your ribs. You'll be back to full health and strength, and still very much capable of  playing soccer with your friends and teammates."

"Really?" His eyes suddenly light up with excitement.

"Yes, really. You're still going to be one of the best players on your team."

"Awesome." Nicolo perked up. "I thought that my injuries would prevent me from ever playing again."

"Well let me assure you
that they won't," I said to him. "So Nicolo, do you plan on going pro in the future?"

"I never thought about it," Nicolo said shaking his head. "I love soccer but I don't think I want to do that when I get older."

"What do you want to do when you're older?"

"I want to be like my dad." Nicolo smiled as he said this. "He's in the hospitality industry, and he owns a lot of hotels and restaurants."

"Wow, that is pretty ambitious Nicolo." I smiled. "Tell you what, you try to do well in school and take your lessons seriously, and without a doubt, you'll be just like your dad."

"My dad is my role model." Nicolo said to me. "I want to be just like him."

"And I think that is very awesome. You know, my dad was my role model too." I said to him. "He's also a doctor."

"Does he perform surgeries and save lives like you do?" Nicolo asked me.

"Well he does save lives like I do, but he's not a surgeon. He's more like a consultant doctor..."

"Dad!" Nicolo smiled excitedly as he looked towards the door.

I look towards the doorway as well, finding Mr. Romano standing there. I smiled a little before standing up.

"Hello, Mr. Romano."

"Hi, doctor." He said walking into the room. "Is everything alright doctor?"

"Dad, Dr. Sewell was keeping my company until you get here," Nicolo said to his father. "Did you know that her father is a doctor too?"

"Really? That is great." Mr. Romano smiled at his son.

It was different seeing him like this, compared to a month ago when he was always brooding and his face was set in a permanent scowl. It was easier now to see how handsome he really was when he is a little less on edge and smiling. It even emphasizes the dimples he has on his cheek.

"That's not all, she also said that I can go home soon," Nicolo said excitedly.

"Is that really so?" Mr. Romano turns to me.

"Yes. He's practically out of any real danger right now in terms of his injuries. His body is healing quite well, so I don't see the need to keep him in here much longer." I said to him. "I can discharge him tomorrow and he can go home. But, you'll have to take him back in two weeks for me to dress his wound and just do a routine check-up."

"Thank you, doctor, that'll be great." Mr. Romano smiled at me before looking back at his son. "You hear that buddy? You'll be out of here and back home tomorrow."

"I'm going to head home now, I'll see you guys in the morning when I sort out your discharge papers."

"You're going to drive home at this hour?" Mr. Romano asked.

"Uhm, it's only fourteen past nine." I looked at my watch. "I'm used to driving home much later than this. Thanks for the concern, but I'll be fine. Have a good night alright?"

"Goodnight Doctor Sewell." Nicolo smiled at me.

"Drive safely." Mr. Romano said surprising me.

"I will." I said smiling at them before leaving.