Chapter 34

The past month had been a total mess. After finding out about both Luca and Alexei's secret, it was like I had been introduced to a whole different world.

The memory of the situation was still vivid within my mind each day. This was especially so since I started working once again and was reminded of what happened whenever I visited Alexei in his room at the hospital.

The guy had originally set out to befriend me for the wrong reasons, however, he ended up saving my life. He took three bullets from his own brother just to save me. It was a miracle that he'd survived. He was however, put in a coma for over a three weeks.

I kept going to see him for the time he had been unconscious. Even though he somewhat betrayed me before, he ended up saving my life too. He was able to see himself and his wrong doings.

Even more, the guy had no one. All the other members from his wretched family,  were gone-- courtesy of the Romano's. So he literally had no one.

The day when I heard that he woke up, I instantly dropped everything and went to visit him. He was still a bit weak and out of it, but his remorse was evident. All he cared about was apologizing for his previous actions and his awful family. He didn't even seem that remorseful or sad to find out that the other members of his family were dead. In fact, Alexei seemed relieved.

Alexei stated that he was now free to finally go ahead and live the life he originally wanted. We talked from time to time whenever I visited him, until he  was able to be discharged. I was concerned as to how he would manage once he was out of the hospital but he reassured me that he would be alright,  that there was someone who could take care of him- his housekeeper.

It was not an easy decision but I was still able to forgive him eventually and we both plan to move on.

********

I hadn't spoken to Luca in almost a month. Since the day I woke up in the hospital and he explained everything to me, I hadn't spoken to him again. I had told him that I would really like some space from him to get my thoughts together once again and try to get over the trauma.

Luca had listened to my request and decided to respect my wish. He had kept his distance like I had asked him to and hadn't contacted me. I was grateful for him listening to me because I really needed time to come to terms and learn to forgive him.

I also needed time to get over him as I already told him that we couldn't be together anymore. I couldn't deny how I felt about the whole mafia situation. I despised it and I know that as long as he was apart of it, that I couldn't get over it and what it was all about. I was well aware of what the mafia stood for, amd after being caught in the middle of it all, there was no way I could ever get passed that trauma.

~|~

A few months had passed and I was finally moving on with my life. Nicole had set me up on a few dates with friends of hers or her boyfriend. I had gone out a couple times with some of them, but none of them and I had a connection. We just didn't seem to click whatsoever, so we decided to just call it quits.

I was coming to terms with the idea of being single for some years. And I was okay with not having a man. I wasn't going to make the pressure to be with someone or to settle down, forced me into a relationship with the wrong guy.

My sister came to visit me on the weekend and we went out to eat.  We had quite a wonderful time just hanging out and catching up. Everything was going quite peaceful and good until somehow there was Luca. I had no idea what coincident it was that he was there too. I wanted to pretend that I didn't see him but he spotted me while I was trying to hide behind Lorana. I wanted to just disappeared as well when he started towards us.