Chapter 11

Not edited

"You seem extremely happy." Nicole said as she came into my office.

"Well that's because I am Nicole. I am happy." I smiled as I packed my things into my bag.

"Oh, you have an early evening off?" Nicole asked.

"Yes I do. I've discharged three of my patients today, and I've got no more surgeries or consultation schedule for the evening, hence I am leaving." I said ecstatically. "Even more, I've got a day off tomorrow. I am heading out now, and I'm stopping by Brooklyn's Minimart, and getting myself a tub of strawberry chocolate chip ice-cream. Then I'm going to go home, have a nice relaxing bath, then I'm going to climb into bed with my tub of ice-cream and have quite the indulgence."

"You're actually making me jealous." Nicole said feigning sad. "I've got up until the midnight shift tonight."

"Aw you poor thing. I wish I could extend my little free time to you."

"But you deserve it though." Nicole said to me. "You've been working nonstop for years. You're going on your leave next week right?"

"Yes. I can finally go home and visit the family." I said to her. "Maybe we'll get to go to the beach, and get in a little of the summer sun before it's over."

"Now you're really making me jealous on purpose." Nicole said causing me to laugh.

"Maybe when you get a day off, you can come with too." I smiled at her. "Anyway, I'm gonna head out now. I also want to stop by Ginny's Bakery before it closes."

"Alright. Have a nice day off Lorr."

"Thanks I will. " I smiled at her. "Have a good shift."

*********
"Lorraine I haven't seen you in months, I was starting to wonder if you had changed hairdresser on me." My hairdresser Peggy said to me when I entered the shop.

"Peggy, you know that I'd never do that to you. You're one of the only people I trust with my hair." I smiled sitting down in the chair.

"I feel so honoured." Peggy chuckled as she ran a hand over my hair. "Your hair has grown so much. It grows really fast."

"I know, that's why I always visit you almost every weekend. But I have been so busy lately  that I haven't gotten a chance to come in and get rid of the excess as usual."

"Not that I'm complaining, because you did wonders for my business, and I love having you visiting me, but maybe you should let your hair grow out a little." Peggy said to me. "You've been getting the same haircut for years."

"I've let my hair grow. Look at it now? It is the longest I've ever allowed it in years." I said to her. "I can't really handle the long hair Peggy. To be honest, it isn't only because it sometimes feel like an obstacle because of my job, I don't really like the feeling of my hair touching my skin. It feels like a centipede crawling up my back and neck."

"Oh pssh, you're just a troubled young woman." Peggy laughed.

"It's true."

"Alright if you say so."
Peggy laughed.

I've spent over a hour at the salon, as Peggy practically fight with me to do something different with my hair. She wanted to change the colour but I wasn't in agreement with that. I only allowed her to put highlights in my hair.

"So what's the plan for the rest of the day now doc?" Peggy asked as she finished my hair.

"Well I haven't gotten a day off in forever, so I think I'm going to take a little nature stroll in the park. Then go grocery shopping- I haven't done that for myself in a while. I kinda miss the smell of the vegetable and pastry aisle."