Chapter 17

"How was your night?"
Nicole asked me when we meet up for lunch at Harry's Seafood restaurant.

"It was amazing. It was really simple but everything was just fantastic in its own way."
I smiled blushing slightly at the memory.

"So what did you guys do?"

"He just invited me over, cooked me dinner. And we watched a movie." I responded. "It was a really nice surprise. And I didn't even know that he could, but that lamb stew was restaurant-worthy. If I didn't see him preparing the entire thing, I'd say he ordered it at a restaurant. He was the perfect gentleman Nicki."

"A guy who is a gentleman and can cook? He definitely deserves a top spot on your scoreboard." Nicole chuckled. "So you and Luca are officially an item now?"

"No, we're still just friends." I shake my head.
"We haven't even kissed or anything yet that could classify us as a couple."

"What? Seriously?" Nicole exclaimed in disbelief. "You guys have gone out like what four times?"

"Six." I corrected. "Last night's dinner invitation made the sixth time since we've gone out."

"And he still hasn't made a move? That's odd." Nicole responded. "I can tell that you both like each other very much, so I don't get it, what's stopping him?"

"I really don't know either, but Luca's got a lot on his plate right now. His son still recovering from being shot, and he's under a lot of pressure taking over the family business from his father. I just think that maybe he doesn't want to rush into anything right now, and neither do I. I really like him too, but if he just needs a friend I have no problem being just that."

"Really?" Nicole looked at me unsure. "You're telling me that if you see him with another woman, it's not going to make you feel anyway?"

"I'm not saying that, but I can't force him into a relationship. And we have a good relationship going on now, even if it is just a nice friendship. And I don't want to ruin that. It's only been a month, we're still getting to know each other more before we rush into anything. I don't want if Luca and I get into a relationship, it turns out to be a disaster like with Stuart."

"As long as you are sure of what you both want," Nicole said to me.

"We're sure... well at least I'm sure... I think I'm sure."

"So I don't mean to venture into sensitive topics or gossip, but do you think the rumors are true? The one nurse Partridge was mentioning, about his fiancé being killed- drug overdose. And the rumors of the Romano's being targeted? Did Luca ever say anything about that?"

"Well no, we haven't talked about anything too sensitive. I mean an issue like that isn't something anyone would want to be reminded of, it's sad and horrible." I said to her.

"Aren't you a little concerned or curious at least? Like why all that happened?" Nicole asked.

"I do wonder about it, but still when Luca and I meet up we don't have time to think much about that stuff. Our conversations never go that route." I told her. "I just think that the fact that he's from a prominent business family, his family is more likely to be targeted, and sometimes they just happen to be at the wrong place, at the wrong time. As for what happened to his fiancé, I guess it's a mystery."

"People of the world today or just really heartless these days too." Nicole shakes her head.

"Can I tell you?" I agreed.

************************
After taking a month's leave from work, I was now in agreement with my family that maybe one month wasn't really enough. As much as I love my job, and couldn't wait to start helping people once again, maybe another week wouldn't be so bad. I got to spend time with my family, and catch up with friends, even go on a couple of dates with Luca, and I have to admit that the time off from work did me good. However, a month's leave isn't that long, and before I know it, it's already over. Today was my first day back at work.

"I packed you lunch and dinner, in case you're not able to make it back tonight." Marilyn handed me the lunch bag as I got ready to leave the house.

"Thanks, Marilyn you are a life saver." I smiled taking it from her. "I have a long day today, six scheduled surgeries. I don't even know if I'll get the time to eat."

"Try to take at least ten minutes break and eat something. You won't be any good to your patients if you have an empty stomach." Marilyn said to me.

She sounded like my mom. And I know that she cares just the same, which makes me extremely grateful for her. I couldn't ask for a better help than her. Marilyn was the absolute best.

"I will eat something Marilyn, thank you." I gave her a kiss on the cheek. "See you later."

~|~
Everyone was happy to have me back at work. From the amount of warm 'welcome backs' I had received, you would think that I had gone on a much longer break. The friendly and loving co-workers I was surrounded by, are a part of the reason I love my job. What's better than being surrounded by great people, and having to work with people who make you feel happy?

"So we want to welcome you back again Lorraine, " Doctor Donford smiled at me.

"Thank you, Cole." I smiled at him. "If you guys keep that up, I am going to start thinking that this place was really really dull without me."

"Trust me, it kinda was." Doctor Collins laughed.

"Anyway, since you've been away for a month, we were able to come up with an agreement..." Doctor Donford smiled.

"What agreement was that?" I asked curiously.

"We've got a surprise for you." He smiled.

"Really? What is it?"

"Come with us this way." Dr. Collins put both hands on my shoulder before leading me to the hospital's main office.

As I entered the room, all the nurses and doctors present started clapping and congratulating me. It was then I noticed the large portrait of me hanging on the wall as Doctor of the year.

"Oh my god. Are you kidding me? You guys... this is... This is so nice of you all. Thank you so much." I was beyond surprised and delighted.

"We all agreed that you probably worked twice as hard as every other doctor here. You perform the most successful surgeries yet and you are requested personally by most patients. There is no one else who deserves this than you." Doctor Donford smiled at him.

"Thank you all so much. I really don't know what to say, this is such a surprise."

"It shouldn't be really. You know you practically live here. I can personally say that out of everyone here, you spend the most time here working. You're here, earliest mornings, latest nights, weekends, holidays, you name it. It is as if you practically live here Lorraine." Nurse Johnson said to me.

"In other words, she means that unlike everyone else, I have no life." I joked causing everyone to laugh. "Everyone, thank you so much for considering me for this position...Uhm... I really don't know what to say..."

"Don't worry, you have a lot of time to think about it. You can come up with, and save the big speech for the award ceremony coming Saturday." Jeff chuckled.

"Wait, Saturday? That's this Saturday?"

"Yeah." Jeff nodded. "You are going to be there right? You know that you are one of the recipients."

"I had no idea it's that time of the year again already."

"Well now that you know, you have time to get the dress, find a date, and be there to collect that award." Dr. Donford smiled. "I already checked, you, fortunately, didn't have any surgeries scheduled for that night. So this year you don't have an excuse. Get dressed, and show everyone that you're the bomb surgeon around here."