Chapter 3

"This is really a sad case isn't it?" Nurse Renée Partridge said to me as I made my rounds and attended to an unconscious Nicolo. "Look at him, so little and innocent. He's barely eight. To have a bullet pierced through his chest like that. Who could do such a thing to a child?"

"I can only imagine what it was like, the amount of pain and shock his little body went through when that bullet hit him." I put back my stethoscope around my neck and pick up his file again. "He's extremely lucky to have survived such an ordeal. Looking at the extent of the damages done, that shot was most definitely supposed to kill him."

"I heard that they were out at some event of the sort when they were attacked. The guy who came in with him, he was a friend and employee of Mr. Romano, he threw his body in front of the kid to protect him from the gunshots." Nurse Partridge said to me while fixing the IV.

"Must've been an awesome guy. He gave his life to save his boss's son." I couldn't help shaking my head sadly at the thought. "I don't get it though, that bullet that I took from Nicolo's torso, it wasn't just any bullet. I'm no expert on guns but I'm sure it was from a sniper rifle."

"Snipers are usually fired from a distance right? And usually, the shots are kill shots. So, if it was fired from a distance, isn't Nicolo supposed to be dead?"

"That's the same thing I've been saying. Which makes me wonder if the bullet was one of those that hit and exited Denver's body." I took Nicolo's x-ray and started reexamining it. "Take a look at this... If the shot was fired from a sniper from a distance and hit him directly, then it is likely that the bullet would have lodged right there...in his heart. It would've broken more than just two ribs. In the case where he was knocked away from a direct heart shot, the bullet would've passed through his lung. However, it didn't, it stopped a few centimeters."

"The police are on the case, asking questions and trying to find the perpetrators." Nurse Partridge look towards the doorway before lowering her voice. "Apparently, Mr. Luca Romano isn't saying much as yet, his friend is the one who's been talking and giving statements."

"That is a reaction which should be expected. His son got shot, the boy is in a coma. It is hard for the father to be up for police interviews right now. You know how they can be in cases like this." I said to her. "The only thing that he is going to be enthusiastic about is seeing his son wake up and back to health. I understand that this is a serious case and the police have to do their job in catching the perpetrators, but they have to be sensitive about the father's feelings."

"I don't want to be the one spreading rumors but, rumors have it that this isn't the first time an employee or family member of Romano has been targeted like this." Nurse Partridge whispered. "Four years ago, his fiancée- Nicolo's mother- was murdered. Her death was ruled as an overdose- cocaine overdose- but the police and others believe that it was a homicide."

"Renée, please. I don't think that it is professional to be holding gossips or help to spread rumors as you said before." I really don't appreciate getting involved in rumors like this around the hospital.

"I know but I'm just saying something looks funny. Two years ago,  three of Romano's employees were killed, the police found the men who were responsible for the death of the men, but while being transported to Helcage County prison, the van met in an accident - some say that it was actually attacked by unknown assailants who killed the suspects and injured two policemen."

"Why would anyone want to target the Romano's like that?" Even though I didn't want to allow any room for unprofessional gossip and rumors, I was still somewhat curious.

"Following those events, everything ran smoothly up until two nights ago when another one of Romano's employees and friend was killed and his son shot." Renée looks towards the door again. "They say that once is an accident, twice is a coincidence but three times is a pattern. This is definitely a target on the Romano's and anyone associated with them."

"Seriously Renée, that's probably nonsense. Why would someone be solely targeting them like that? It just doesn't make any sense."

"See that's the thing. Some people believe that it may be related to some gang-related violence or that Romano is somehow connected to the mob. Maybe he owes them money or something?
However, Mr. Romano is a successful businessman and public figure, so that could be the reason he is targeted like that. You know how it is when you're a successful person, you tend to make lots of enemies." She continued. "But whatever it is, I think it is serious. The guy has two guards outside his son's room. Do you think that he's just paranoid, cautious maybe, or is he expecting another attack? Like is the person going to come back to finish the job or what?"

"Well let's hope not because this hospital isn't the place for such things."  Putting back Nicolo's file I turned to Nurse Partridge. "Renée, this little conversation that just happened, please let the last place you repeat those rumors be this room. I don't want some rumor going around this hospital, it can compromise the integrity and credibility of the hospital. In addition to that, I suspect that Mr. Romano is going to be here quite frequently, I wouldn't want him to catch a word of this. Are we clear?"

"Yes, Dr. Sewell."

**********
"Mom I know I promised that I would be there for dinner tonight but as I told you before, I had to cancel. I have a new patient in now and that caused a schedule change." I put the phone on the loudspeaker before putting it on the desk before me.

"This is becoming a typical habit of yours Lorraine. You make promises then go back on them." Mom let out a sigh. "Your father and I were looking forward to seeing you. We haven't seen you in ages, you'd think we live in different states."

"I said I am sorry a hundred times Ma. Do you think that I deliberately wanted to cancel and not spend time with my family?"

"It is certainly starting to feel like it. Couldn't you have asked anyone else to look after that patient for you for a night? Cover the shift for you?" She asked.

"I would if it were that simple. You see my new patient is an eight years old who's been shot. He was brought in shortly after I talked to you the other night, I was the one who did the extraction surgery. He's currently in a coma, hopefully, short-term."

"My God, that is terrible." Mom gasped. "I tell you, the world is filled with evil people. Can you imagine something like that happening to an innocent child?"

"I know. In addition to that, his father requested that I be the one to attend to him until he's back to health."

"Does that mean you'll be at the hospital even more now?"

"Yeah, that's exactly what it means."

"Are you going to be getting any rest at all? Or eating properly?" I could hear the concern in her voice. "What good are you  going to be to the patients if you're lacking rest and food Lorraine?"

"I'll be fine mom. I try to get enough rest here when I'm in my office. And I was just about to have something to eat. Marilyn was kind enough to bring me dinner." I said reassuringly. "Steamed Fish, rice, and beans with a side of fresh vegetables."

"That woman is a lifesaver. Make sure you don't plan on firing her anytime soon." Mom said firmly. "What would you do without her?"

"I don't know Ma, and I don't plan on firing Marilyn anytime soon. She's been with me for over three years and without a doubt, she's the best housekeeper I've ever had. I don't have a reason to."

"That is something we can both agree upon. " I heard mom sigh again. "I just miss you, Lorraine. I think Horral and I are going to have to drive up there just so we can see you."

"Mom come on, you're making me feel bad. You know that if it wasn't for my patients..."

"I know, I know. If it weren't for your patients you'd visit more often. Honey, I know that your job is a little demanding and you're doing an awesome job at saving lives, but I hope you're taking care of yourself as well."

"I am mom, don't worry."

"Sweetie, your sister and Kevon are here with Amelia now." Mom said to me.

"I guess I better let you guys get to dinner now while I get to mine." I couldn't help smiling as I said this. " I'm sorry I couldn't be there with you guys. Tell dad I said goodnight, tell Kevon hi, kiss Amelia for me and tell Lorana I'll call her. You guys have an awesome meal and a good night now alright."