Chapter Four

It was totally silent for the first few minutes. I stared out the window, images of what I had seen flashing before my eyes. Mommy and Daddy lying on the floor, unmoving. Usually I was talkative on car rides, but I didn't know what to say. A stranger was driving me away from my home to an unknown place. Somehow I collected all of this with my three-year-old brain.

Police cars passed us on the other side of the road frequently. I heard Kadan sigh sadly. I tried to ask him what was wrong, but couldn't find my voice. I gave up soon after. I looked back out the window.

The day was deceptively sunny and bright. The grass was green and clouds were scattered haphazardly across the sky. They looked as soft as a pillow. I reached toward them, yearning for their comfort. I was terrified, but I couldn't cry. I couldn't scream or call for my Mommy. Something was stopping me.

Kadan pulled over to the side of the road to let some police cars pass. They went behind most of the cars in front of us. I looked behind our own, and saw that one had stopped behind us as well. I heard Kadan curse under his breath.

I looked at his figure in the seat. Kadan turned around to look at me. He had a look of fear mixed with hope in his eyes. "If they ask for your name," he started, "you tell them it's Aamori. Alright?" I nodded. Why was my name Aamori? I wanted to ask, but I stayed silent. Kadan suddenly handed a me my Dora sunglasses and pink baseball cap. "Put them on," he commanded quickly, turning in his seat.

The officer knocked on his window, looking dead serious. "Hello, sir. A little while ago a couple was murdered and their child went missing. Did you see anything at all?"

"No, sir," Kadan replied. "Is their child alright, do you think?"

The officer frowned. "I hope so." The officer stepped back from the car, but then looked back at me. He stepped forward again and leaned down as Kadan started rolling back down the window. "Who is that, young man?"

Kadan looked at me and smiled. "That, sir, is my little sister."

"Alright," the officer smiled at me. He looked pointedly at me. "Hey there. What's your name?"

Kadan spoke immediately. "Her name is Aamori, sir."

The officer glared at Kadan. "I didn't ask you," he snapped. I shivered in my seat when he turned to me. "What. Is. Your. Name," he repeated.

"Aamowi," I whimpered.

The officer huffed. "That's funny because she looks very similar to the child of the couple. The only difference between her and the child is the hair color." I looked at my short, chin-length hair which was suddenly brown. But I was a blonde!

I was vaguely aware of Kadan nodding. "I hope you find her, sir." The officer left. Kadan sighed again, this time in relief. His shoulders slacked. He looked at me again. "Sorry, but I don't think we should call you Addilynn anymore or Addi. We are going to call you Aamori instead. Alright?" I nodded. "And," Kadan continued," sorry for turning your hair brown. We would have gotten in trouble if I didn't." My hair was platinum blonde again.

Kadan turned back to the road and pulled off the shoulder. "Wewe awe we goin?" I asked as best as I could.

Kadan stiffened for a moment. "I don't know," he muttered. "I really don't know."