○ FIVE ○

○ FIVE ○

I laughed as Alana threw her paper across the table. "This is too hard!" She exclaimed putting her head in her hands.

"It's just a brain teaser Alana, trust me, it's not that hard" I said laughing.

She glared at me over the top of her glasses. "Stop laughing at me, just cause you're super smart!" She exclaimed.

I rolled my eyes and turned to look at the cafeteria. It was bustling with hundreds of students and I looked down at the lunch in front of me. "I hate this place, can't wait until I become a billionaire and stuff all these losers" Alana said, looking around also.

I pushed the food around on my plate, not feeling very hungry. "Yeah don't forget us little people" I replied glancing up at her.

She smiled. "As if I'd become a billionaire without you" she said.

I chortled and grabbed my backpack. "C'mon, lunch it about done, walk me to class?" I asked Alana.

She nodded and grabbed her textbooks. I grabbed my tray and walked to the nearest bin, using the food inside and plopping the tray on top. I followed Alana out of the cafeteria and into the hallways. "Reckon anyone would notice if we just skipped class?" Alana asked, glaring at a couple of young students.

"Yes, Mr McKinnon would skin me alive" I replied firmly.

Alana nodded. "True, he may be older than my grandmother but that dude is batshit crazy" she replied.

We rounded the corner side by side and I immediately went down. "You've got to be fudging kidding me!" I cursed as I slapped the floor.

I was so sick and tired of ending up on the floor. "Really, your obsession with running into me is a bit worrisome now" his voice said.

I scowled and looked up. "Great, just what I needed" I muttered.

He held out his hand but I ignored it and pulled myself up. He sighed and dropped his hand. "If you need help not walking into someone let me know" he said sarcastically.

I bit back my anger. "Sure, is that the other class you teach? Right next to how to backstab a friend who only wants to help?" I snapped back.

Alana gasped and Matthew's face dropped into an unreadable expression.
"No, my other class is about how people should grow up and learn to let things go" he said, leaning closer.

I rolled my eyes and glanced at Alana who seemed to be watching us like a tennis match. I turned back at Matthew to deliver my most hurtful blow. "Are you sure you're capable of teaching that class?" I asked.

He seemed to go cold and Alana stepped back. "It was good to see you Alana, thank you for coming to watch our gig last night" he said, still staring at me.

I didn't break eye contact with him. "Shelby" was all he said before knocking into my shoulder deliberately as he pushed past.

I hissed.

Glaring at his retreating back, I rubbed my shoulder. Alana sighed and shook her head. "I can't believe you said that Shelly, he may be a boy that ignored you but he's still a boy who lost his parents" she said before walking off.

Guilt coursed through me. Sighing, I realised I should go and apologize to Matthew, no matter how much I didn't want to.
It was a low blow, even for me.

I walked the way Matthew had left and saw him down the hallway. I started to jog to catch up before he turned and disappeared through a set of double doors.

I tried to catch up but ended up at the doors watching him. I opened the door slightly to hear him better as he sat down in the music room. His fingers tapped the piano before he sighed and stopped playing.

Taking a deep breath, I walked in.

He looked up, with his eyes idea before they narrowed when he realised who I was. "What do you want?" He asked, angrily standing up from the piano.

"Truce" I said, raising a hand up in surrender.

"How kind of you, still doesn't answer my question" he said, crossing his arms.

I dropped my hand. "I wanted to apologise for what I said, it was really low of me to say that and I'm sorry" I said, looking away before back at him.

He ran a hand through his dark hair, fustratedly. "Wow, I'd say I was impressed but we all know I don't have emotions" he snapped sarcastically.

I looked down and bit my lip. "Just lately you've been trying to talk to me and I'm too stubborn to listen" I said, gesturing with my hands.

Matthew raised an eyebrow. "This must be a dream" he replied.

I sighed. "God dammit Matt! I'm trying to apologise!" I exclaimed.

Matthew smirked. "And now you know how I felt when I came to you wanting to apologise" he said, straightening his back.

I stared at him. I didn't know how long I stared at him but I did and then I looked away. "This was pointless" I said, turning around and walking towards the door.

"No please! Don't back out now!" Matthew exclaimed, sarcasm lacing every word.

I opened the door and slammed it shut behind me. I get it, he wanted to make me feel what I made him feel the past few days. Well I wasn't going to let him win.

There was a time when I would have done anything for Matthew Kane, but now as I walked away from the music room.
I knew one thing.

I was never ever going to let that asshole get under my skin, even if the thought of him being with another girl or being surrounded by thousands of other friends tried to break me.

It wasn't my fault, Matthew pushed me away.
I tried to help him then and I tried to say sorry now and yet I was met with the same wall of defense.

He was just toying with me, probably making it a game between his friends.

Which one can get Shelby McGraw to crack first?

A/N

Hmmm. I think Shelby knows what's going on a little.

I think the thing with Matt is that he's so used to losing everybody he just knows how to put his walls up. He was a little harsh on Shelby when she went to apologise to him. But he doesn't view that as him pushing her away.

How does he view it?

You'll see!

What did you think?
Vote, comment, follow!
Love T xoxo