avonlea dance {part 2} | gilbert blythe

after gilbert asked y/n to the dance, she quick ran in her house to tell her mother. y/n talked to her mother about gilbert a lot, and her mother noticed that she'd taken a liking to him.

as y/n's mother styled her hair in a soft golden braid, she asked her about gilbert.

"he's the best," y/n replied with a dreamy sigh. "he always asks how i am, and stands up for me against the boys. he's a good student, and his father is awfully sweet." y/n's mother smiled as she finished up the braid.

"it sounds to me that you've found a keeper," she cooed. y/n blushed and nodded. "well, he's coming soon, so go get your dress on!" and with that, y/n ran to her closet.

y/n's dress was a silky navy blue color, and it was longer than her other dresses. it reached to her ankles! it was lacy, flowy, and elegant. y/n was in love. as she slipped it on, she wondered if gilbert would think she's pretty.

y/n's mother let her wear some makeup! she gently applied some rouge, and a little bit of lipstick. then she went to the mirror to look at her appearance. after fixing herself up a little bit, she went downstairs to talk to her father.

"your mother and i are coming to the dance later," y/n's father informed her. she nodded. "gotta keep an eye on my little one," he added and winked. y/n chuckled.

then someone knocked on the door. y/n jumped up and smoothed out her dress.

"i'll get it!" she exclaimed. y/n dashed to the door. she slowly opened it to see gilbert standing outside. he had his back turned, but when he heard the door open, he quickly turned around. when he saw y/n, his jaw dropped.

"wow...you are beautiful," he breathed. y/n blushed.

"why thank you, you don't look to bad yourself," y/n said and winked. he laughed and held out his hand. she gladly took it, and shut the door behind her.

the two walked in silence, with gilbert gently holding her hand until they reached the small carriage that would take them to the dance. gilbert held the door open for her, and jumped in after her.

gilbert kept glancing at y/n on their way to the dance. she'd return the glance, and then quickly look away.

when the two arrived at the dance in the town hall, gilbert helped her out of the carriage. all the boys and girls from the schoolhouse turned their heads. anne grinned when she saw y/n and gilbert holding hands.

anne and diana ran up to the pair. the greeted the two with friendly smiles and excited hellos. the group talked for a while, and then gilbert left to get a drink for him and y/n (anne and diana politely declined).

"y/n, he's being such a gentleman!" diana exclaimed once he left. anne agreed.

"he is head over heels for you!" anne added. y/n blushed and looked at her feet. gilbert ran up with two drinks in his hand. he handed one to y/n, then slipped his free arm around her waist.

anne and diana could barely hide their smiles.

"well, we're gonna go dance, see you!" the two girls said, and hurriedly ran away. gilbert turned to y/n.

"would you like to...um...dance?" gilbert asked and scratched his neck. y/n nodded, and they set down their drinks. then y/n took his hand and they went to dance.

"gilbert, i'm not too good at dancing," y/n whispered. gilbert shook his head and laughed.

"i'll help you out," he mused. he gently put his hand on her waist, and held her hand in his own. y/n put her hand on his shoulder. the two gently started swaying to the music. then gilbert led her around the dance floor. she giggled as he spun her around.

everyone was dancing and having a great time. y/n's parents arrived and watched her dance with gilbert. y/n's mother smiled, noticing the look on her face. y/n's father whispered something to his wife, something along the lines of 'they're in love'.

gilbert suddenly stopped. y/n gave him a confused look.

"what's going on?" y/n whispered. people started to bump into them.

"i'm in love with you, y/n," gilbert said. she gasped.

"you are?" she whispered. he nodded.

"yes," was all he could say. she smiled, then slowly leaned in. she wrapped her arms around his neck and their lips met.

gilbert was startled at first, but slowly wrapped both his arms around her waist. the kiss was perfect, to say the least. gilbert couldn't help but smile in the kiss, which made y/n smile.

"i'm in love with you too," she said when they broke away. anne and diana squealed from far off.

gilbert breathed a sigh of relief. then he pulled her close and rested his head on her shoulder. the two stood there, swaying to the music, until it was over.

the first annual avonlea dance was a success.