soulmate au | cole mackenzie

request by @DaveyArmweak - this is a soulmate au where anything you draw/put on yourself shows up on your soulmate too.

"woah, your soulmate's really good at drawing!" tillie exclaimed as she saw deep black lines appearing on my arm. they were long, dragged out lines that were curving to make a flower. i blushed and smiled at her.

"yes, i agree," i replied. i traced my fingers along the lines as i wondered who my soulmate could be.

most of the kids in the avonlea schoolhouse have found their soulmates, except for me. every day i walk in school and see all the girls huddled up next to their soulmates. diana and charlie, anne and gilbert, and more! they all have love, but i don't. not yet at least.

"why don't you say something back?" anne asked me when she saw the flowers. i shrugged. part of me is nervous to meet my soulmate. what if they're not what i thought they'll be?

"i don't know. i guess i'm scared," i answered anne. she smiled and put her hand on my shoulder.

"i was appalled when i saw that gilbert was my soulmate. but, it worked out for the best, and i wouldn't want to be with anyone else," anne explained. i smiled at her, but inside i wasn't too happy.

"settle down class," mr. phillips drawled as he walked into the room. as he got settled in his desk, a boy dashed in the room and sat down.

i turned around to see who was late, but it was a boy i didn't recognize. his strawberry blond hair was disheveled, as if he just ran a mile. i noticed worry spread across his face. he turned to look at me, startling me with his bright blue eyes. i blushed and turned back towards the board.

throughout class, i watched my arm as new lines were appearing, drawing in more flowers and plants. i smiled, admiring the beauty of the drawing.

i heard whispering on the boys' side of the room, and turned to see what the commotion was about. billy andrews, the class bully, dumped ink all over the new boy's shirt! i glared at billy, but felt something wet spread across my torso.

one thing i hate is wearing dresses. my mother allows me to come to school wearing a blouse and skirt, which i believe is way more comfortable. today i had on my white lace blouse, my favorite one!

i looked down at my blouse to see a splotch of black start to grow on the front. i looked at it, confusion echoing in my brain. tillie, my table partner, looked down at my blouse and gasped. that caused more and more people to turn my way. the boys started pointing, and i didn't realize what they were thinking until anne spoke up.

"y/n and the new boy are soulmates!" she cried, jumping up from her seat. "oh, what a beautiful tale of romance i've seen on this glorious day!" mr. phillips stopped in his tracks and looked at me. then he looked at the new boy, who's shirt was also covered in ink.

"how lovely," mr. phillips said, sarcasm lacing his words. i blushed a deep red and looked at the boy. his face was about as red as mine.

"let's talk after class," he mouthed to me. i nodded, understanding his words fully. i was trying not to freak out, but i've just found my soulmate! the one who's drawings make my heart soar, the one who never fails to make my day.

class continued, with kids turning to look at me ever so often. i just kept my eyes trained on my arm, admiring the flowers for the millionth time today.

words appeared on my skin. -i'm cole, what's your name?- it read.

i grabbed my ink and pen and started to reply. my name's y/n. why haven't we met before?

-up until this year, i've worked on my family's farm. my mother finally said i can come to school. -

wow. i'm so glad you're here. i was starting to wonder if i would ever find my soulmate!

-well, i'm here. you look awfully nice.- i blushed at that compliment.

as do you, mr. cole...?

-mackenzie. cole mackenzie.-

well, mr. cole mackenzie, i can't wait to talk to you after class.

-me either.-

we carried on this conversation until the room on our arms ran out. after class, i rushed up to him and threw my arms around him.

"your drawings are beautiful!" i exclaimed. he laughed.

"thank you. you're beautiful too," he replied. i blushed. he outstretched his hand, and i gently took it.

"can i walk you home?" he asked softly. i nodded.

on our way home, we discussed anything and everything. families, food, school, life, and more. he was the first person that i could truly relate to.

i'm so glad i finally found my soulmate.

————————————————
hey i'm back again. just wanted to say i missed writing for you guys! i've been getting such positive comments on the stories, and they just make my day! thank you guys for being so supportive!! ilygsm♥️
also i don't look for typos, so if there's typos, i'm super sorry lol