drift | charlie sloan

1st charlie imagine but it's kinda sad lol have fun :) inspired by courtney peppernell's book 'pillow thoughts'

it all started when we were twelve.

my mother met another lady from avonlea, who had a son that goes to my school. she met mrs. sloan. instantly, the two became very good friends, and decided to have tea one saturday.

since mrs. sloan's son and i both go to the same school, the mothers thought it'd be nice for us to get to know each other.

i've seen charlie messing around with gilbert and billy at school, but i've been too shy to introduce myself. he seemed like an awfully nice boy. he didn't bully others like billy, and he seemed to have a fun personality.

so that one saturday, when we were twelve, our mothers had tea together, and it was the start of a great friendship.

right when we walked in the door, charlie stepped up and took my coat. he introduced himself, and shook my hand. our mothers dismissed us to go play, so we ran outside.

we climbed a tree, and told each other about ourselves. he really likes baseball, and hunting. he told me about how he hunts with his father every autumn season.

i told him how i love to read, and how my father handcrafted me a bookshelf with flowers etched on the top. he watched me intently as i described my favorite books, and he gave input on the ones he read.

that's when i knew this boy would be my downfall.

so now it's been a couple years, and we've always been friends. he's like my partner in crime, and everyone in school knows we're absolute best friends.

"hey char!" i called from the school's doorway during lunch. charlie was out playing catch with billy and moody. he turned once he heard my voice, and waved. that's when billy threw the ball and it hit charlie in the ribs.

"oh my!" i exclaimed and ran down the steps. charlie fell to the ground in laughter as i knelt next to him.

"guess i fell for you then," he joked once i reached him. my face turned red and i smacked his arm.

"very funny, char. don't scare me like that, ever again!" i scolded him. i helped him up from the ground and he grinned at me.

"you're a lifesaver," he teased. i shook my head and walked back inside to where the girls were giggling.

charlie and i just had the greatest friendship.

every day after school he walked me home, and he'd always come in for study help. he wasn't too good at arithmetic, but then again, who isn't?

our hands would brush as i tried to show him the correct answers, and no one could deny the sparks.

but soon, it changed.

we drifted. it wasn't a sudden thing, it was more over a long period of time. it was a gradual change in our friendship.

he started to get more interested in other girls, and in sports, and he started to forget about me. i brushed it off at the start, not wanting to overreact. then he would forget to walk me home.

"i am so sorry, i was talking to gilbert and completely lost track of time," he'd say. every single day there'd be a new excuse.

"it's alright, charlie," i'd tell him every single day, because it was alright. i love him, so i forgive him.

i guess i didn't realize it was getting to be so bad until my birthday.

of course, my birthday fell right on a school day (sorry if you're a summer bday), so i had to go to class. when i walked in, all the girls gathered around me, wishing me a happy birthday. anne and ruby even gave me a little gift.

one of the boys elbowed charlie, and he whipped around, obviously dazed and confused. when he saw the commotion, he asked billy what was going on.

"it's y/n's birthday, of course. why, did you forget?" billy asked charlie. charlie's heart stopped when he realized he did forget. he never forgot.

his heart sunk as he realized how wide the drift had become. it had taken up his whole life, and he couldn't even remember why they drifted in the first place.

i glanced at charlie to see if he'd come and wish me happy birthday, hoping he would, just so i could hear his voice. it's been so long since he's talked to me.

but he didn't come. his feet stayed rooted at his desk, and he tried to think of another excuse for her. that's when he had another realization: she couldn't excuse this one.

charlie was finally gone.

but i will always remember our drift. it took up all this space, like a planet with many moons.

this one is short and kinda sad but i will post some more happy stuff & requests soon!! bear with me, school is sTrEsSfUlL mAn!1!1 ily guys so so much xx