new lover | billy andrews

request by @slay_malfoy

"bye, gilbert, see you tomorrow," i said, kissing his cheek. i was leaving from keeping him company at his house. gilbert's father had just died, and i thought he really needed someone right now.

"yeah, bye," gilbert replied distantly. his eyes were glazed over, and he wasn't really looking at me. i snapped my fingers in front of his face, and he broke out of his daze.

"do you need me to stay longer?" i asked gently. he shook his head quickly.

"no! i mean, no. i'll be okay. i love you," he said, giving me a tight hug. after, he pulled apart just far enough to kiss me softly on the lips. we've been dating for over a year, but he still gives me butterflies.

"i love you too. goodbye," i replied, walking outside his house. i turned to wave, and he waved back. then he shut the door, and i was alone.

what is wrong with him?

the next day
i knocked on gilbert's door for the tenth time this morning. i always walk to his house, then we walk to school together, but he's not answering.

"gilbert? are you there?" i called from outside the door. no sounds came from the house, so i decided to just walk to school alone. maybe he forgot?

when i got to school, i searched the room for gilbert. he wasn't here either. if anyone knew anything about gilbert blythe, it was ruby gillis. so i walked up to her and josie pye.

"good morning. have you seen gilbert today?" i asked ruby. ruby clutched josie's arm, and i just realized she was crying. "oh no, what's wrong ruby?"

"are you daft? gilbert left last night! marilla cuthbert saw him leaving town around dinner time," josie sneered. my heart stopped.

no. he couldn't have left. i was just there yesterday! crazy thoughts poured into my brain, and my hands started shaking. my vision turned blurry as i clutched onto the edge of the closest desk.

"y/n? are you well?" ruby asked between sniffles. i shook my head, my thoughts elsewhere. no one knew i was dating gilbert, so this must've seemed like an overreaction.

"no, ruby, no i'm not," i said, and i ran. i left my books in the schoolhouse and dashed out into the winter air. i left my coat hanging on the rack so i could feel the coolness in the air, feel the snow falling gently onto my shoulders.

"why?" i asked myself, tears flowing freely.

and that was the day my heart broke.

one year later
a lot's happened this past year. my boyfriend gilbert left me without saying goodbye, and my heart broke.

i've gotten better, though. to be honest, for the first couple months, it's really sucked. i was hurt, alone, and sad.

but billy helped me. i know what you're thinking. billy andrews?! he's a bully! how could he have helped you?!

well, after the first two months of gilbert leaving, i started becoming friends with him. one day, he just walked up to me and ate lunch with me. after that, we became great friends.

after four months of being friends, i realized i had feelings for him. he was always there for me, and stuck up for me when josie and ruby found out about my old relationship with gilbert. he was funny, cute, and i found out that he can be really kind. i helped him stop bullying others, and he started being nice to others. now everyone loves him, and i'm not an exception.

a couple weeks after i realized i loved billy, i confessed. good thing he had feelings for me too, or that would've been awkward. we made it official after a week.