cheater {part 2} | gilbert blythe

y/n got over her small sickness. it didn't really mean anything, she guessed her body was just tired. tired of the sadness, tired of seeing him.

broken hearts suck. y/n could barely speak, let alone go to school. but she sucked it up and went anyways.

ruby and gilbert weren't together anymore. they didn't talk to each other. there was a rumor that he broke up with her, saying that he never liked her. saying he loved someone else. probably josie, y/n thought.

y/n walked back to school. it was her first day back since she went home sick, and it's been about three days since she's been there. she misses diana, her best friend.

when she walked through the door, diana immediately ran up to her and embraced her.

"oh, y/n, dear, i'm so happy you're better!" diana exclaimed. y/n gave her a weak smile.

"yeah, me too," she whispered. her voice wasn't very strong anymore.

"y/n," someone said from across the room. y/n would know that voice anywhere.

"don't gilbert," diana warned. y/n squeezed her hand.

"it's alright, dear," she said quietly. then she turned to gilbert. "what?" she asked.

"can we please talk?" he whispered. y/n shook her head.

"i can't. i'm sorry." gilbert ran a hand through his hair. oh, how y/n missed doing that.

"please, you don't understand—"

"no, you don't understand. why wasn't i enough for you? if you didn't love me anymore, you could've just said so. you didn't have to ignore me, let alone cheat on me! gilbert, you ruined me. this is the most i've spoken in a month." everyone stared wide eyed at y/n. she didn't care.

"i still love you, and i hate that about myself. i can't seem to let go of those who hurt me most. i wish with every fiber of my being that i didn't love you, but i do." y/n breathed a sigh of relief. she was wanting to get that off her chest for a while now.

gilbert has tears in his eyes. y/n couldn't bear to look at him anymore, so she picked up her books and ran out the door. she ran down the steps, but collapsed a few feet off. her back shook with each sob, and she couldn't stop it.

y/n heard the door open and close behind her, but she didn't care. nothing mattered.

"y/n i love you," someone said behind her. it was gilbert again. y/n turned around. gilbert rushed to her side and sat next to her.

"then why'd you do this to me?" she asked, her bottom lip quivered.

"i...i thought that i had a boring life, with the same old people. my father has been sick for so long now, and i felt stuck. i guess i took it out on our relationship. i was tired of the same old people, and i guess i thought you were one of them." y/n turned away from him and looked at the distant fields.

"but i was wrong. when i saw how much hurt i caused you, i realized i didn't want anyone else. i wanted you. i love you."

"but why stay with ruby for so long if you felt nothing?" y/n asked quietly, her tears flowing freely now. gilbert closed his eyes.

"i don't know. i wanted a distraction from how much pain i was causing you and myself."

"you suck, gilbert blythe," y/n said softly. her and gilbert chuckled.

"yes i do,"  he confessed. y/n turned back to look at his gorgeous hazel eyes.

"i shouldn't be forgiving you, but i am." gilbert looked at her with wide eyes.

"really?!" he exclaimed and embraced her. she cried into his shoulder.

"can we please just start over?" y/n asked. gilbert nodded.

"yes please."

"i think i need a nap," y/n said and laughed.

"same here. let's go home," gilbert said and stood up. he held out a hand to y/n, and she gratefully took it.

the couple had been through so much in the past month, but it just showed how true love always comes back to each other. as they walked home, hand in hand, they realized that they were meant for each other. nothing life throws at them can change that.