poems | billy andrews

a/n - so this is loosely based off of '10 things i hate about you', but it's changed a lil bit! btw that movie is so good watch it if you haven't already!!

it's been two weeks since you broke up with billy andrews. to be honest, you two weren't ever actually together, you both were in love with each other. you were a 'thing' as others would call it.

you remembered it vividly. you were walking out of the schoolhouse when you noticed billy flirting with josie pye. he was smirking at her, and leaning against a tree behind her. she was blushing, while you were fuming.

you quickly stormed past the two and made your way home. you heard billy start to run after you, but you dashed home before he could catch up.

since then, you haven't talked to him at all. it's been breaking your heart to ignore him, but he deserved it, after all he's done to you.

you were in class, listening to mr. phillips read shakespeare, when he stopped to make an announcement.

"you have until tomorrow to write a poem based off of this excerpt," he ordered. the class tried hard to hide their looks of annoyance, but you smiled to yourself. poetry was always your strong suit. and you knew exactly what to write.

once you arrived at home, you brushed past your mother and ran up the stairs. as you stepped inside your room, you took a deep breath, and the creative juices started flowing. you grabbed your notebook from the vanity and sat by the window.

you mumbled to yourself as you wrote the words. you crossed them out over and over, trying very hard to make this perfect. you wanted billy to know exactly how you felt.

how does one even start to describe billy? he was a jerk to everyone except you. he instantly became your friend in elementary school, and you two became inseparable. he was always so kind and soft to you, and you ended up falling in love with his every move. he was funny, attractive, somewhat smart (except in math), and he was strong. he protected you from the annoying boys in your class, and gilbert and his tendency to flirt with every living thing. billy was your everything, and you were his.

you closed your eyes as a memory came flooding back to you.

"y/n, i have to tell you something," billy said from across the living room.

you two were doing homework at his house, but it was time for a break. you turned to look at him, setting down your notebook.

"yes, billy?" you asked gently, and he chuckled. he moved from his chair to the sofa, right next to you. you slightly blushed at the sudden intimacy.

"y/n, i'm in love with you. i have been for some time now," he said, shutting his eyes tight. "i understand if you don't feel the same, i just had to get that off my chest." you smiled, and shook your head.

"i do feel the same, billy. i love you too," you replied and wrapped your arms around him. he was shocked, but it didn't take long for him to wrap his arms around you.

you had never felt more safe, sitting there in billy andrew's arms.

you fell asleep, dreaming of sweet memories with the one you loved. the one who hurt you.

*the next morning*
your mother came inside your room to find you curled up next to the window. she gently shook your shoulder and informed you that school started soon.

you pulled on a light green dress, and braided your hair, just so it'd be out of your eyes. you grabbed your notebook, along with your other school things.

as you walked into the schoolhouse, you saw billy staring at you. you glared at him, and his expression went from cocky to downcast. not like you cared or anything.

you sat next to diana barry, and you both discussed the homework. she groaned after you read her yours.

"y/n, must you be so good at everything?" she questioned with a small smile. you grinned and shook your head.

"not everything..." you said, trailing off as you gazed back at billy. he wasn't looking at you, he was staring out the window.

"can i have a volunteer to read their poem?" mr. phillips asked harshly at the class. diana nudged your arm, so you tentatively raised it. mr. phillips told you to come to the front, so you grabbed your notebook and followed his orders.

as you stood at the front, everyone's eyes were on you. you gulped, realizing billy's were as well. he had on a puzzled expression, like he was trying to figure you out. you cleared your throat and began.

"i hate the way you talk to me,
and the way you cut your hair.
i hate the way you ride my horse,
i hate it when you stare.
i hate your big dumb boots
and the way you read my mind.
i hate you so much it makes me sick,
it even makes me rhyme."

you glanced at billy, and his eyes were burning holes through you. you kept going.

"i hate it..." you took a deep breath.

"i hate the way you're always right,
i hate it when you lie.
i hate it when you make me laugh,
even worse when you make me cry."

at those last few words, your throat choked up and tears filled your eyes. billy had his hands clasped together, and his face turned a soft pink color.

"i hate it when you're not around,
and the fact that you didn't come,
but mostly i hate the way i don't hate you,
not even close
not even a little bit,
not even at all."

as you finished, you wiped your tear stained cheeks and rushed to your desk. you picked up your books and dashed out the door, not looking back.

"wait!" a voice behind you called, and you heard the door slam shut. you turned to see billy running towards you.

once he reached you, he roughly grabbed your waist and slammed his lips on yours. you pulled his neck towards you, and kissed him back. after what seemed like hours, you pulled away.

"you're a jerk—"

"a big one," he said interrupting you.

"you're inconsiderate—"

"sadly, yes."

"i don't forgive you," you said, and he looked down. "yet," you added, and he returned a hopeful glance.

"i still love you," he whimpered.

"then why'd you flirt with her, when you knew it'd kill me?" you asked, your hands shaking.

"i don't know. i honestly didn't mean to. when i saw the hurt look in your eyes, i realized what i'd done, and i left her. i'm so sorry, i never meant it. any of it." your eyes met his, and you pulled him close for a well deserved hug.

billy may not be perfect, but he was your love, and you were his world.

i hope you liked it, i had to change the poem a lil bit cuz some of it wasn't applicable to their era :)