two

chapter two !carter meets history

chapter two !
carter meets history

.・:*:・゚'✫,'✫'゚・:*:・˙

She'd been used to dinner alone for a while. But after seeing Farkle and his friends spend every spare moment together, nights alone at the Skies apartment felt worse for wear. As if it heard her thoughts, Carter's cell phone rang and her father's contact photo lit up the screen.

Carter couldn't contain her smile. "Dad?"

Aspen Skies' voice was raspy, yet flowed with warmth when he talked. "Baby me! Where are you?"

"Just home," Carter replied, matching his happy tone. "Made chicken alfredo, your favorite. Leftovers are in the fridge."

Her father laughed. "We'll take them out and warm it up for me, 'cause I'll be home in ten."

"What? No way," Carter said. "But it's barely eight on a weekday!"

"I'll tell you everything when I'm home, baby me," Aspen assured.

By the time her father unlocked their apartment door and put his keys on the hook, Carter rounded the corner into the hallway and tackled him into a hug. Their apartment was too big for the both of them, but Aspen had only bought it because of the area. Greenwich Village was one of the safest, culture filled areas in Manhattan. It was the perfect place to raise a daughter in the city.

It was a two story, three bedroom apartment with a gorgeous balcony view of the city. From a distance they could see the lights of Times Square and the Freedom Tower, the chaos of the city below only a distant buzz from the thirtieth floor they stayed on.

Carter adored her home. Her instagram was filled of cute, classy pictures of her living room, her cooking, her and her dad, and most of all the view.

Aspen's laugh filled the room as he picked her up and spun her around in circles. "I missed you too, baby me. Big day in the office today."

Carter's giggles followed them as her father carried her into the kitchen and sat her down in a stool at their breakfast bar. He smelt like pine wood and citrus, like the air freshener they use in the office, and now like his daughter's vanilla scented perfume.

"Oh yeah? Big enough that you're home by eight?"

"I launched the internship program. It's better than we thought. Your idea to pull from NYU students was brilliant, kid." Aspen said.

Running Sky High Enterprises wasn't only difficult, it was time consuming. Aspen Skies was one of the biggest investment banks in the state of New York, and he'd built it all for his family. One day, it might even be Carter's. Once in a while, Aspen would pull her from her schoolwork and let her take a crack at solving some of their problems. Almost always it was done by the end of the business day.