FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN; CARTER MEETS CREATIVITY

❝ we are an impossibility in an impossible universe. ❞

.・:*:・゚'✫,'✫'゚・:*:・˙

       IT ALL STARTED when Carter was in Dance class, her second favorite class next to History. After she and her classmates had nailed a particularly hard Jazz routine, they were all ready to go home when their teacher stopped them and told them what would be happening with budget cuts.

      Farkle has hugged her immediately after seeing her at the corner after school, he had heard the news in the Art class he shared with Maya, Riley, Lucas and Zay.

      "What's this for?" Carter asked him, her brows furrowing.

        "I heard about the budget cuts. I'm so sorry, Angel." Farkle replied, and despite her awful mood the nickname he used for her made Carter's heart skip a beat.

       Farkle and Carter had become closer ever since the semi-formal dance, and the nickname "Angel" had stuck. No one, not even Lucas, tried to use the same name for Carter after they'd first heard Farkle call his best friend by it.

      "My dad is gonna be really disappointed. He wanted to come to the recital at the end of the year." Carter said sadly, and as if right on cue, her father's car pulled up.

Farkle waved goodbye to her, and was sad to see that she was in the same mood as yesterday when Carter walked into history class.

      "The Dark Ages—" Mr. Matthews started, but he didn't get very far.

       "They're cutting art class and you wanna talk about the Dark Ages?" Maya intervened, and Carter nodded.

       "They're cutting dance too! How are Zay and I supposed to preform our ballet duet if we don't have a class to practice it in?" Carter said.

       "The Dark Ages was a time of cultural deterioration—"

      "What does that have to do with me?" Carter and Maya said in unison.

      "The Dark Ages was a decline of the creative spirit of an entire continent."

      "What about me!" Carter and Maya whined, pulling identical pouty faces.

      "The Dark Ages is when they cut the art and dance classes at this middle school right now, and Maya Hart and Carter Skies can't paint or dance anymore!" Mr. Matthews said, and Carter pouted again.