SIX

CHAPTER SIX: CARTER MEETS RULES

❝ you fancy me mad. ❞

.・:*:・゚'✫,'✫'゚・:*:・˙

THE NEXT FEW weeks rolled by quickly. Farkle and Carter spend all their free time at either Topanga's or the movies, and with or without friends alongside them, every day is a new adventure.

Carter wouldn't have it any other way. So, she tells her father about her new friends and he couldn't be happier.

Over the span of a few weeks, his little girl has managed to find a group of friends that care and with parents that are amazing people, Aspen Skies couldn't be any prouder of her, and so he cheerfully sends his little genius off to school where she skips down the hall into history class, happiness almost radiating off of her.

"Cart, you're in a good mood." Farkle observes, admiring the look of pure content on her face.

"It's a good day, Farkle. There have been many good days in a row and I am very happy about it. Maya and Riley are okay, Lucas and Zay are okay, you and I are okay—" Carter rambles for what seems like hours before the morning bell rings.

Everyone takes their seats, and Carter notices today's lesson. "Conscience" is written on the board, and for once in her entire eighth grade year, the lesson doesn't currently relate to her.

        Huh, Carter thinks. This must be what normal feels like.

"What is a lie?" Mr. Matthews asks. "What effect does a lie have on the human soul?"

"Why ya lookin' at me?" Riley says, and Carter furrows her brows.

        "The man who sums up the price of a lie was Edgar Allan Poe, who wrote Tell Tale Heart. Farkle! Carter!"

Farkle perks up, but Zay starts talking.

         "So, this guy chops somebody up, hides him in the floor. He's cool for awhile, but all of a sudden. Boom, boom. Boom, boom! His guilty conscience makes him hear the heartbeat under the floorboards. So, he gave himself up. Some people just ain't cut out for this stuff."

Carter lets a slow smile crawl up her face. "I know I am."

         Maya turns around and gives her a scared look, to which Carter only smiles and waves. Farkle glared at Zay.