TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE; CARTER MEETS FEELINGS

❝ darling, you're different. ❞

.・:*:・゚'✫,'✫'゚・:*:・˙

WHEN LUCAS AND CARTER walked through the door the next day, they had their eyes closed, and Lucas prayed things would be back to normal. Carter hoped that when she looked behind Farkle, she'd stop noticing the way his dark hair contrasted with his pale skin, and how pretty the shade of pink his lips were.

Carter and Farkle had texted each other for ages the night before, and Farkle talked about just how much better he felt in general being Donnie Barns instead of the goofy nerd he portrayed himself as. Carter understood him completely, and told him constantly that she supported him for whoever he wanted to be, just as long as he remained her best friend.

So when she opened her eyes and saw Farkle sitting there, the same beanie on his head, she didn't groan in annoyance like Lucas did. Carter smiled brightly at him, and winked at him as she sat down behind him.

When Riley walked in wearing all black clothes and had suddenly grown bangs overnight, Carter reacted.

"What the—" Lucas started to say, and Carter had to bite her tongue to keep herself from saying a not-so-nice word.

"Life is what we do between nothings." Riley drawled, and Carter snorted loudly.

"Is this a New York thing or — what is this?" Lucas asked, and Carter shrugged. She really had no idea.

      "Maya?" Carter glanced at her friend's chair and realized she was nowhere to be found. Oh god, Carter thought. This can't be good. As if on cue, Maya walked in wearing a brown wig and bright clothes.

      "Lollipops and rainbows and things that rhyme with that!" She said brightly, a yellow yearbook held tightly against her shirt.

      "No!" Carter yelled, jumping up. "No, no, no! That is just sick! It's sick I tell you! Sick!"

      Lucas watched in awe as "Riley" stepped closer to him.

      "Hi." Maya said softly.

      "Hey." Lucas replied, his anger disappearing.

      Carter let her knees buckle and she fell back into her seat. "How can he just melt like that?" She said to no one in particular.