NINETEEN

CHAPTER NINETEEN; CARTER MEETS TEXAS

❝ if it doesn't burn a little what's the point in playing with fire? ❞

.・:*:・゚'✫,'✫'゚・:*:・˙

     IT WAS A nice day in New York, which to Carter seemed like a good sign. It had been a few weeks since confronting her bully with Riley and the gang, and she was happy to say it brought them all even closer.

     Weekends with her father had been absolutely amazing, Aspen had insisted on taking her to his office for the first time. Surprisingly, the brunette had loved it there, and her father's employees took it upon themselves to give her a small desk with a name plate reading: Little Skies.

     When Carter wasn't with her father, she was most always with Farkle. Frequently drowning in her feelings for him was a pain she was willing to take if it meant being near him. Her world seemed to spin a little slower when they were together, and that only meant being able to spend more time with him.

     It had been a calm couple of weeks, which of course meant something big was brewing in the distance. Something that would spark a change in the group's lives forever.

     But before the storm, and before Texas, Carter had entered her school with a surplus of minutes to spare and her best friend right behind her. The boy took notice of Carter's new leather jacket, and could breathe in the antique smell of it when she brushed her hair behind her shoulder.

     With the faint smell of campfire and old books in his head, it was hard to focus on one thing at a time. Carter looked good, as in — really good.

     Then again, in Farkle's eyes, she always looked good. The boy supposed it was because of how different she looked wearing something other than her blue jeans. Today she had on her new favorite jacket with a deep red flannel tied around her waist. It suited her well, and it was driving him crazy.

     What else was driving him crazy was just how many people took notice of his girl when she walked past, and Farkle couldn't help but glare at anyone who's eyes dropped a little too far down.

     "You look good today, Angel." Farkle said quickly, nervous that if he waited a second longer he'd never be able to convince himself to tell her.

     The girl felt powerful, and everyone could feel it radiating off of her. Her long hair flowed behind her as her regular stride turned into a bit of a strut. Carter Skies was invincible, even if it was only for today.

     She smiled at him brightly, and while still feeling an urge of courage the jacket had given her, Carter took her best friend's arm and swiftly moved it so it laid across her shoulders.