THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN; CARTER MEETS SEMI-FORMAL

❝ lonely little soul. ❞

.・:*:・゚'✫,'✫'゚・:*:・˙

WHEN CARTER WALKED through the halls that morning, she was met with posters and banners displaying ads about the upcoming semi-formal, and she couldn't be more displeased with it all. Carter hated social events like dances, mostly because all throughout middle school she didn't have anyone to go with. Until now, of course. Carter caught up with Riley and Maya as they walked to their lockers.

"It's this weekend and Lucas still hasn't asked me to the semi-formal!" Riley exclaimed, with an upset look on her face.

"I don't know anymore! Just tell me what to say!" Maya said, holding her hands up in surrender before turning to her locker. Seeing the distressed look on her friend's face, Carter put her hand on Riley's arm.

"Don't worry about it okay? I'll see if I can get him to see straight." Carter told her, and she let a big smile spread across her face.

"Thanks Carter! I wouldn't want my Riley and Lucas forever notebook to go to waste." Riley said, and she pulled out a notebook with their names scribbled all across the front.

"Dear god." Carter said, as Riley flipped the book over only for the backside to read. "Riley and Lucas we're just friends."

"Sweetie what are you doing to yourself?" Maya asked as she unlocked her locker.

"It's this weekend and Lucas hasn't asked me to the semi-formal!" Riley said again, getting more distressed.

"If it makes you feel any better, Farkle hasn't said anything about the dance to me either." Carter muttered, and with a glum face she walked through the doors into history class. Farkle noticed her low mood immediately, and when she sat down without acknowledging him, he knew it was bad.

Carter looked at the board, and the word "Etiquette" seemed to be out of place to her. What did etiquette have to do with a middle school semi-formal? It only made her even more upset.

"Semi-formal is coming up," Mr. Matthews said. "Young men and women interact. Mixing in a social situation. To avoid any casualties, I thought we could discuss etiquette. Can anyone here tell me what etiquette is?"

Maya raised her hand, and Mr. Matthews gave her a look. "No you can't."

"Etiquette is treating people right and with respect. Maya and I will demonstrate a short play we put on before every dance. It's called: No." Farkle said, as him and Maya rose up to their seats and walked to the front of the room.