C1| Pregnant

Sophia AndersonAnderson PenthouseNew York

Sophia Anderson
Anderson Penthouse
New York

‘Pregnant!'

The word bounced off the walls of my skull like a boomerang, as I numbly walked into my penthouse apartment taking off my coat, I drop it on the kitchen table along with my car keys. And continued walking towards the bedroom. The door was open, my bed was still unmade, it was a Sunday so the maid was off, I think.

Jeez, I can't even tell what day it is. Kicking off my shoes I fell into the soft white sea that is my bed...

'Pregnant!'

The word, a loud echo in the hollow recesses of my mind. My life is over! And I'm a horrible person just for thinking that, there are thousands of people who long to be mothers and can’t be. Yet, here I am thinking only about myself, I'm supposed to be a strong independent woman yet all I can do right now is cry. Loud ugly sobs fills the silence of my bedroom.

What the hell am I supposed to do in a situation like this?

I reach into my pocket for my phone and text my best friend Lena Grace. I don't remember a time when Lena and I weren't friends and right now I need a friend or someone to talk to. Not that I really feel much like talking, so instead I curled up into a ball and continue sobbing.

I was woken by soft shaking and warm hands. "Sophia,” Warm hands brushed my hair from my forehead. 

"Wake up honey. Come on, get up." Lena's soft voice pulls me back to reality, blinking to adjust my blurry vision. "Hey." I whispered sitting up.

"Hi," She smiles. "Here, have some tea." She hand’s me a steamy cup of peppermint tea in a huge black and white mug. "Thank you, Lena." Taking a sip of the warm liquid somewhat calmed the storm raging inside me.

"I rushed over as soon as I got your text." Lena said adjusting a pillow behind her. Finally taking note of her attire, a simple yet classy enough to wear to a business meeting bright blue leather skirt and a white blouse. Her light brown hair was straighten to perfection, she looked ready to kill. "Oh Lena, I'm so sorry if I ruined your presentation. It was super important, wasn't it?" I apologized, dropping my head into my hand. Idiot!

"No, its fine really I got your text right after the meeting finished. I did of course rush out while he was talking to me." My heart beat sky rocketed. He, meaning her boss, Lucifer Knight the CEO of Knight Industries. Who also happens to be my ex, and the father of my unborn child!

Suddenly it dawned on me that I have to tell the CEO of a world leading conglomerate that I'm pregnant! Pregnant, this one little word has sent my whole life into complete chaos.

We split up last month because we wanted different things and the man had way to many secrets. It was rather simple I wanted more than he could give, so I called it quits.
How am I supposed to do tell him?
I felt like someone dropped a mountain on my shoulders.

"Care to share why I have to run over here to find you passed out covered in dried tears?" I looked up at her, tears forming in my eyes. "I'm... God, I can't even say it." A single tear ran down my cheek.

"Say what honey?" she asked taking the cup out of my right hand looking very worried. I took a deep breath and yelled. "I'm pregnant!"

God, it felt good to scream. I looked Lena and she seemed to be frozen in shock and that's when the situation I find myself in finally hit home.
Hard! I broke out into horrible sobs she wrapped me in her arms. How am I supposed to be a mother? How do you even raise a kid? I am not maternal, my own mother is the horrible example of what parenthood should not look like.

"Are you sure?" she questioned pulling away and looking me in the eye. "Yes, I'm sure. I went to the doctor because I thought I had the stomach flu. When she told me I was pregnant, I laughed thinking it was a joke." I said once I could talk without my chest heaving.

"But you were wrong. And if I know you which I do you probably made her run the test again." Lena continued. "Four times, Lena. I made her run it four times." I hung my head trying not to cry, I can't cry again. No! I am not this person, I have to be strong.

"Oh, Lena," I cried biting me lip. "I'm 24 how am I supposed to be a... a mother? I’m not ready, I always thought I’d be one of those old mom’s." Anxiety filled me, I don't have a very good relationship with my mother, she's selfish and vain, always looking out for number one. In truth, my relationship with her was cold and lacked any real substance. We were a woman you had given birth to a baby girl and girl who had wished for that woman to be her mother.

What if I turn out just like her? Selfish and uncaring, treating my child like a doll and not a person, use them to make myself look better.

"Oh, Soph." She pulled me into a bone crashing hug which sort of hurt but I didn't mind I needed a hug more than ever. I cried harder clutching on to Lena as she offered me a tissue. This is pathetic, I never cry I haven't cried since I was twelve. Now look at me! I hate it being weak. But the truth is that I am weak, I'm only human after all.

"We'll figure it out! Together." Lena stated with determination.