C22| Mother's Support

Lena Grace
New York

The nightmares never ended, those men in the elevator. The beautiful blonde who’d sent me flying across the room, my blood in my eye and poor Sophia how she screamed and cried. Her hand of my face and the sound of glass shattering. No! Enough! 

I could allow myself to dwell on the memory of that night. Not even of the strange I’d met in the dark.  He haunted me. The man, I saw in the underground parking lot of Sophia’s Apartment building, everything was shaking but he appeared unmovable. Grounded amongst the chaos around us. Beautiful and deadly! 

I really shouldn’t be thinking about this or Sophia’s apartment and the horrible things that happened there.  An apartment she was now selling, it was completely unlike her to give into fear but she wasn’t alone anymore and just thought of someone coming into her home in the middle of the night once the baby was born, filled me with terror.  

And it was that same fear that had kept me in bed these last two days. Rolling over, I snuggle deeper into my pillows when my phone buzz on the night stand.  

The text from Sophia had me sitting up.  

‘I told my mother. You should have seen her face!’  

Oh my God! She actually did.  

‘I take it, that conversation went as well as can be expected.’ I replied back.  

‘Yes. But it was worth it to see the look on her face.’ Sophia said but I knew she was probably really upset.  

‘I miss you, Lena. How have you been doing lately?’ What I really wanted to say was; Horrible, I can seem to get out of bed.  

What I texted back was: ‘You know me, nothing gets down. Heading off to a yoga class now in fact. Call you later. Love you.’  

Coward! 

‘I’m glad. Have fun! Love you more.’ 

Sophia Anderson
Beverly Hills
Los Angeles 

"Mom, you didn't have to come with me. " My mother did not reply. Charlotte Anderson had never felt the need to explain herself to anyone, not even to me, her pregnant daughter she’d dragged out of bed this morning. 

Though she had absolutely no problem with letting me sit and stew in the fact that she had decided to come with me to the doctors appointment she had made. God, only knows when she did that.   

It was so out of character for the woman, I was beginning to think she had been replaced by some sort of shape shifting alien. An alien who study my mother's mannerisms and attitude at length and quite well apparently. 

Everything about her was exactly the way I remembered it right down to the way she carried herself. Like some kind of Queen! 

But this woman could not possibly be my mother. She'd taken the news of my sudden pregnancy way too well. Albeit the look of immense shock on her face was something to behold but that was it, she didn't yell, say hurtful things or judge me. Didn't demand I tell her who the father was. Looking back the whole affair was very strange.